Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Looking for a 32 or 37" LCD - Help!!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by garry_williams@, May 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. garry_williams@

garry_williams@
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok guys I give in. I was desperately trying not to post an annoying newb question but after spending the best part of the weekend researching LCD screens I'm no further forward. I recently defected from the rear pro camp after my Tosh 46WM48 went bust after 3 months. I went into JL this weekend and fell in love with the Sharp Aquos LCD range. After lots of surfng around the 32GA4E looks to be a fantastic piece of kit and has the all important HDCP compatibility on the DVI connector. Problem is, reading the forums these have been around since the end of last year and yet I'm struggling to find anywhere online that retails them - they seems really thin on the ground. That makes me worried they've been replaced or there's a problem with them I don't know about? JL had the LC-37GD1E with external DTV box for about a million quid (OK £3500). So what's the deal with the GA3E / GA4E tellies - why can't I snap one up easily?

Also, what would you all recommend I also take a look at from Panny / Tosh in order to compare? The HDCP compatibility is an absolute must.

Many thanks in advance!
    Garry

2. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The 32" GA3/4's are extremely rare, and i dont think Sharp are still producing them. (replaced by GA5s which dont have any digital / HDTV compliant sockets.) You might find the 37" versions though.
    As alternatives to the 32" Sharp, id look at the new Hitachi 32LD7200 and the Toshiba 32WL48 / 56. The Hitachi set looks really nice, and a few people on here have bought one. Very similar spec to the Sharp also. (Theres a few threads in here about it)

Sharp are releasing there new range soon i believe, aswell as others from Philips, Panasonic etc so it may worth waiting if you have your heart set on a Sharp.

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There will be a whole bunch of new TV's hitting these shores in the next few months. The Sharp GA3 and 4 were fantastic TV's but sold out really quickly. The current Panasonics are not terribly good. Tosh's are also getting hard to find and the Philips 9986 is due for replacement in August. The 9986 is still available and is a stotting TV. The Hitachi mentioned above seems pretty hot too.

If you can wait for a few weeks, it might be worth it...

Jimmy

4. garry_williams@

garry_williams@
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent thanks for the responses guys

5. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  6. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    july? says september on the pdf?

7. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    One says July the other says September!

8. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    jimg - have you got any other nice pdfs like this so I can see what the future holds for the 37" market? Any idea what the technical difference between this 37GD7 & the current 37GD1? Do you think they've improved the crappy freeview/Sky PQ? Looks like they've binned the separate tuner box....

9. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    These screens replace the GA3 and GA4 models, not sure if there is going to be a replacement for the GD1. I have the 37GA4 and use SKY and the PQ is OK after applying plenty of tweaks to the settings. They have a HDMI now rather than a DVI but there is little info about other changes.

10. garry_williams@

garry_williams@
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the input chaps. Got this back from Sharp within a couple of hours of emailing them :)

"Unfortunately I must confirm that both models you have referred to are discontinued from manufacture and can no longer be supplied from Sharp UK Ltd. To view other alternative models please refer to our website under Home Products/Vision/Aquos and follow on from there. [...] The LC32GA5E and the LC32GD1E are the nearest equivalents that are available from current range and plans are in pipeline for another series of LCD Aquos tv products in August/September."

That's that then!

11. DannyG33

DannyG33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Littlewoods have the 26 inch model in stock if thats acceptable.
    LC-26GA3E
    Littlewoods.com

12. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    i have a sharp aquos 32 ga5e and it is superb.
    my sony dvp 725p is plugged in using the rgb componment leads and these in turn are switched to the HD mode, the clarity compared to scart is very noticable , bit like comparing a compact cassette to dvd.
    as my current skybox is not HD compatible this seemed like the perfect option to me.
    And on that note any guesses to how much sky are going to charge for an HD compatable sky box???