1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for a 32" LCD with the following..

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by prvjoker, Jul 17, 2005.

1. prvjoker

prvjoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    as title says

32" minimum
    HDMI
    DVI
    D-sub
    Optical audio out

i'll consider all the other fluff later lol, but the optical and hd/dvi are critical to me. Less so the D-sub. But I have to have the optical audio out and hdmi for proper delivery of 5.1 sound.

scoured google for similarly specced lcd, cannot find crap. Of course there's plenty of U.S alternatives but ofc that's not viable.

anyone can point me in the right direction?

thx in advance people! :)

2. ccparkhill

ccparkhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    What would the use of optical out on an LCD be unless it had a digital tuner, which you don't mention in your spec.

3. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
  4. ssuellid

ssuellid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Philips 32PF5520D has everything on your list except HDMI - just has DVI - about 1k and includes Freeview.

Or there is the SAMSUNG LE32R51BX which seems quite well recommended on these forums - iirc the more expensive version with the built in freeview adds the optical out.

JVC LT32DS6 - has everything but is more expensive.
    Pansonic TX-32LXD500 - also has everything IIRC.

5. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presume the optical output is to route the sound from the HDMI connection back to the AV amp, but IMHO that is the wrong way to go. I can't think of any HDMI source that doesn't already have separate digital audio outputs that could routed directly to an AV amp, and with most screens only having one HDMI input an AV amp with HDMI switching / upconversion would be more or less essential sooner or later (and a HDMI connection into the amp would take the digital audio at that point).

It's also not clear about the HDMI / DVI requirement - is this just for AV content, or also as a PC input? If the screen had D-Sub for PC, would it matter if the HDMI doesn't accept PC resolutions?

AFAIK, only Philips have an optical output for audio (checked a couple of others that don't seem to have it - Sharp has a coax I believe). If you can do without the optical output bearing in mind what I said earlier, there are a number of options - like JVC, Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung (whose 40" is little more than the other 32", if size matters).

6. prvjoker

prvjoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296

yeah the optical is for plugging into an amp. I just like to know I have the option.

as for what the LCD will primarily be for?

HD/dvd movies, then xbox360. Dvi for running movies direct from pc as i currently use the xbox to do this.

anyhow thx for the inputs so far guys (no pun intended)

7. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The Loewe Xelos models have coax digital out rather than optical.

The SL model routes both analogue and digital sound onto this digital output performing A/D as needed, including from the internal tuner and any analogue input. It does however only have DVI+HDCP input rather than HDMI but the audio side is via analogue input or 1 of 2 coax digital inputs that can each be assigned to any input. This model also has an option for a Dolby digital decoder so can output 5.1 analogue audio direct. The D-sub input is only for the Loewe PC option and I think it is of limited resolution but VGA input is available on the DVI-I connector - you just need to find a DVI-D+DVI-A -> DVI-I converter and as far as I can tell, these are non existent.

The 'A' series on the other hand also appears to have the same digital audio connectivity but with HDMI instead of DVI. I think this means that one of the digital inputs is replaced by the HDMI audio input. There does however appear to be some doubt whether the digital output is simply used as a digital switch for the HDMI and digital input or whether, like the SL, it can do A/D conversion for analogue sources including the TV tuner. Not sure if the D-TV option can be output on the digital out even if it does not provide an internal A/D converter. I believe that the D-sub input is a seperate connector and will take higher PC resolutions.

-Ian

8. ccparkhill

ccparkhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    None of that would require an optical output from the screen since they would all feed directly to the amp, the only time you would need such an output from the screen is if it had a digital tuner built in.