Looking for a 32" HDTV...

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by x Flib x, Feb 4, 2009.

1. x Flib x

x Flib x
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone recommend a 32" 1080p (preferably) HDTV that offers 100Hz + and a decent audio system( IE not Virtual Dolby Digital, true 5.1)? Ignore the price, I just need something that fulfils these requirements at the moment. Can be either plasma or LCD.

I've come across a few that nearly fit the bill, including the Samsung LE32 A559P and LC32a660 and the panasonic tx32lxd800....

Halp?

2. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    As far as I know, there are no truly great sounding 32" LCD tv's on the market at the moment (Loewe 32" possibly the exception) and most people will connect to a home cinema system if they want better sound. What do you mean when you say you want 5.1 sound? Bearing in mind that a tv will only have stereo speakers? And where have you seen a Panasonic TX32LXD800?

3. x Flib x

x Flib x
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keep it in your mind that I'm a complete dunce when it comes to TVs.

So if I plugged a home theatre system into the TV would it give it in 5.1 or w/e sound or would it just come out in the tv is set to? IE if I took a tv that is advertised as being able to do Virtual Dolby Digital woudl it be able to produce actual dolby digital or 7.1 sound with additional home theatre equipment?

4. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    The only tv's that will 'send' a 5.1 soundtrack out of the tv from a broadcast program are the Panasonic Freesat models, but only on some programs. Basically, it would seem that what you are looking for does not exist. You need to concentrate on finding a good tv picture-wise and then add a seperate sound system if you want noticeably better sound.

As a starting point, have a look at the Panasonic TX32LXD85 or Sony KDL32W4000, although bear in mind that the Sony is hard to find as it is discontinued and also that Panasonic have increased the prices on all their LCD's as of 1st February.

5. x Flib x

x Flib x
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay. For the audio, lets put it this way, for example: I have a TruSurround TV. If I plug in a six speaker (5.1) home theatre, will I be abel to receive dolby digital sound (on dvds, blu ray)?

6. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Any reason you want 1080p at this size? It really is not needed unless you are using it at a pc monitor

7. x Flib x

x Flib x
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will be used as a PC monitor for some of the time, hopefully, but are 720p and 1080p indistinguishable at medium range?

8. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Do you not need a 5.1 amp to run the speakers? Not sure how you'd plug them into a TV? Sony & Panasonic seem to have the best sound (I think the 800 Panasonics, eg 32LZD800 have uprated sound processing), while LG & Samsung are less good.

On a 32" it seems that 720p and 1080p aren't distinguishable at more than about 2 feet (i.e. 'normal' TV viewing)

HTH

9. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    Would be nice, but such a model does not exist at 32", only 37".

10. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Ah ok :oops:

11. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    I think it's further than that (all opinion though) but 1080p can make SD look worse unless you spend a lot more on it, but then you're paying extra for the same SD PQ. Panasonics are always safe, they make very good sets and have good sound, as you're using it as a PC monitor I would steer clear of plasma, unless you rarely use it as a PC monitor and for short periods of time, the 'start' button on windows can destroy any plasma if you use it a lot.