Looking for a 2 ohm stable amp...

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by mrimg, Jan 2, 2012.

1. mrimg

mrimg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I may be able to get hold of a subwoofer at a bargain of a price with the intention of running it in one of the spare rooms, but the current coil config is dual 1 ohms - leaving me with either a 0.5ohm or 2ohm final load. I'm looking for an amplifier that can put out between 1000-1500wrms into 2ohm, any suggestions? If needs be I can recone it to a dual 2 config and make the final load 4 ohm, but I'd rather not shell out an extra £100 unless it really would be worth it as that would take away its title of being a bargain lol.

Budget can be flexible, but looking for something reasonable priced.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Some of the Behringer power amps may suit your needs.

But,to get the required power rating many of these and similar PA type amps require bridging,and are thus not suitable for 2 ohm loads.

Be very careful when looking at that aspect.

3. mrimg

mrimg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah I see, this may lead to me buying 2 subs and running each 2 ohm per channel. Food for thought anyway, thanks :)

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    The number of high power,decent 2 ohm stable power amps is actually quite small,and many that will deliver high power into 8 ohms drop significantly when faced with 2 ohms or less.

This was always a sort of torture test for high end amps.....feeding the amp a decreasing load and seeing how it coped without melting.
    Very few amps can double the output with each successive halving of load resistance down to 2 ohms or less.

5. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Examples of high power, decent amps that are stable at 2 Ohms and down to 0.5 Ohms, doubling output power with halving of impedance are the Rowen ONE and the Burmesters. Since both are presumably a tad over the OP's implied budget ("a subwoofer at a bargain of a price"), there seemed little point in mentioning them. The Accuphase M-6000 is also rock stable, but has "only" 600W into 2 Ohms, the price is also a little over the OP's wishes.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Try a Krell KSA250/MDA300/FPB600 if you want a laugh...

7. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Or an Evolution 400e if you want a current model satisfying the OP's question: "delivers 400 watts into 8 Ohms, 800 watts into 4 Ohms, and 1,600 watts into 2 Ohms". I know it's an irrational generalization, but after a very bad Krell auditioning experience I just can't bring myself to recommend their kit.

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    It was just a bit of a joke....personally I like their stuff,and I loved the old ad with an electric jackhammer.