Question Looking for 55" LED - Ambilight or avoid?

jw123

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new TV, I currently have a Samsung UE48H6400 but it has purple patches on the screen, I'd appreciate any recommendations on which model to go for.

Size
I'd like to go bigger than my current TV, so 55" or 58" should be okay.

What I watch
35% - Netflix (via 4K FireStick)
25% - YouTube (FireStick)
20% - Plex (FireStick)
15% - Sport (VM Tivo+ FireStick)
5% - Gaming (Xbox One S)
Obviously with my current TV I only watch FHD, but my FireStick and broadband are capable of UHD which I'd like to take advantage of.

Viewing conditions
  • Pretty much straight on
  • Approx 3-4M from TV
  • Usually watch on an evening so blinds closed, 1-2 lamps on in room

Budget
£400-500 seems about right, but can stretch a little further to find the perfect fit.

Models I've look at
  • LG (55UM7660PLA, 55UM7400PLB, 55UM7050PLC)
  • Samsung UE55TU7000
  • Panasonic TX-55GX680B
I like the look of Ambilight, but is it just a gimmick? Am I losing quality in other areas just to get Ambilight?
  • Philips 55PUS6754 (is it worth paying extra for 55PUS7334/55PUS7394 ?)

Other requirements
  • Would prefer to buy from Richer Sounds or John Lewis to take advantage of their longer warranties (or anywhere else that offers 5+ years included), due to the issue I've outlined above with my current TV
  • Minimum 3 HDMI ports
  • It's going to get wall mounted so the thinner the better
  • Plan on getting soundbar so sound isn't the most important
  • I use a Logitech Harmony remote (with Alexa via a Dot) and run most things through the FireStick, so not really that bothered about what apps the TV has or how good they are. I find the apps on my current TV very slow so happy to stick with the FireStick.
  • I'd like blacker blacks, but realise this is best on OLED but don't want to spend that much

I've looked through some recent threads and can't see any that have the same budget/requirements as me and I'm not sure on the etiquette here on jumping on other peoples thread so hope I'm okay creating my own and hope I've gave enough info above.

Which out of the models I've listed is best? Are there any other better models that I haven't looked it? Is Ambilight any good or should I avoid?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Edited post to add more info

Last edited:
a 58 inch would be a va screen if sit directly it will be better night or darker room viewing.
55 could be both you won't know but might get ISP screen.

a 58 inch would be a va screen if sit directly it will be better night or darker room viewing.
55 could be both you won't know but might get ISP screen.

We sit pretty much directly in front so viewing angles not really an issue, usually at night with a few lamps on in room.
I've updated the post with this info as I should have included it.

Thanks for the info.

I think from reading this post that VA would be better for me than IPS.
We've got a good viewing angle and I'd prefer blacker blacks

Hisense B7500 or U7B, the latter if you need an extra HDMI port. Even cheaper B7100, B7300 or the Roku B7120 model would suit.

If you are pushing the boat out and want to spend more but get worse value for money the Panasonic 58GX800/GX810/GX820/GX830 - all the same TVs. You'll get HDR that is more managable, but pay extra for it.

If you want a TV from another manufacturer look at models from Samsung, LG or Philips using 58/60" size panels.

If you want a true HDR TV you'll need to consider a refurb or upping the budget as they start at more money than your budget.

Hisense B7500 or U7B, the latter if you need an extra HDMI port. Even cheaper B7100, B7300 or the Roku B7120 model would suit.

If you are pushing the boat out and want to spend more but get worse value for money the Panasonic 58GX800/GX810/GX820/GX830 - all the same TVs. You'll get HDR that is more managable, but pay extra for it.

If you want a TV from another manufacturer look at models from Samsung, LG or Philips using 58/60" size panels.

If you want a true HDR TV you'll need to consider a refurb or upping the budget as they start at more money than your budget.

Thanks for the swift and detailed response!

I've got to admit I hadn't really considered Hisense as I'd always thought they were a bit of a "budget" brand.

The Panasonic's you mention (and any other 58's that I can find) all seem to be £650+

Are there any other VA 55's from other brands to consider? Even if I push my budget up a little to £550ish?

Thanks for the swift and detailed response!

I've got to admit I hadn't really considered Hisense as I'd always thought they were a bit of a "budget" brand.

The Panasonic's you mention (and any other 58's that I can find) all seem to be £650+

Are there any other VA 55's from other brands to consider? Even if I push my budget up a little to £550ish?
A popular alternative was the Samsung 55RU8000 but it seemed to sell out rather fast. You may find one knocking about still.
The Samsung Q60R is more or less the same TV, but more expensive. You may find one of those at discount as the newer Q60T is out.

Interestingly Samsung have made a regression in specs in 2020, so the new TU range or the Q60T don't seem as good TVs.

Apart from that there's TCL models that should also be using VA panels.

A popular alternative was the Samsung 55RU8000 but it seemed to sell out rather fast. You may find one knocking about still.
The Samsung Q60R is more or less the same TV, but more expensive. You may find one of those at discount as the newer Q60T is out.

Interestingly Samsung have made a regression in specs in 2020, so the new TU range or the Q60T don't seem as good TVs.

Apart from that there's TCL models that should also be using VA panels.

Thanks for the info, but it seems as you said the 55RU8000 is hard to get hold of and the Q60R seems to be out of my budget.

I think if I want HDR then I might be better off going for IPS instead of VA.
I seem to be very limited with 55" if I want VA within my budget, there does seem to be a lot more selection of 55" IPS within my budget.

Are there any 55" HDR models within my budget if we ignore VA?
You mentioned in a previous post "true HDR" - How do we know if a TV has true HDR?

Thanks for the info, but it seems as you said the 55RU8000 is hard to get hold of and the Q60R seems to be out of my budget.
Right now yes, but prices can change fast. What is too expensive today, could be cheaper tomorrow.
Are there any 55" HDR models within my budget if we ignore VA?
No.
You mentioned in a previous post "true HDR" - How do we know if a TV has true HDR?
Even the Q60R I mentioned doesn't make the mark with HDR. You are looking at Samsung Q70R or Sony XF9005 or above. Circa £800 or so.

If you don't go for the Q60R I'd just buy cheap instead and go for the Hisense B series at 55". Anything else you pay a premium for, but there are TVs at 58/60" from Samsung/Philips that are just as good as the Hisense models for extra cash.

I wouldn't consider TVs using an IPS panel at all since contrast/blacks and uniformity will be a lot worse in darker conditions. You specified you want good blacks, and you won't get good blacks with any TV using this panel type.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom