Looking for 32” or 40” TV replacement

ianpwilliams

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my 32” Samsung UH32H4500AK TV (not my main Panasonic 50”) needs replacing because it fell onto its front and my guess is it will cost the same to buy a new one as it would to fix the screen. I’ve copied the question from the other thread if anyone would be kind enough to help. I’m looking to buy from John Lewis around £250-£350 and there are a good few options.

What are your sources going to be? For example:
Do you have fibre internet capable of UHD streaming? No
Will you be buying and using an UHD Blu-Ray player? No
Netflix? Yes
Amazon? No
Apple TV? No
Catch up TV? Yes
HDR games consoles? No (Nintendo Switch but would more likely use that on the 50”)
PC usage? No
DVDs? Possibly
FHD Blu-Rays? No
Sky, BT or Virgin? UHD or HD? Freeview. HD
  • SD vs HD vs UHD use percentage? eg 20% 60% 20% - probably 20/80/0
  • Movies, sport, console games, PC use in percentage? eg 20% 60% 20% - 80/10/10/0
  • How close can you view the TV? A couple of meters
  • Do you need to view the TV from the side or only straight on? Straight on (two people)
  • What conditions do you view in? During the day? At night with lights on? In the dark? Usually blinds closed lights on
  • What TV are you currently using and what are expecting to see upgrading to a new TV? Samsung UH32H4500AK, really liked the picture on it, just want a good HD picture and on demand (possibly Freeview Play)
  • Motion - Are you interested in being able to use motion enhancements on your TV to reduce judder and/or reduce motion blur? Both frame interpolation and frame insertion let you do this, read more about it here. They both have their upsides and downsides, so read carefully.

Please rearrange the following PQ attributes, in descending importance:

Blacks
SDR Brightness
SDR Colour Saturation
SDR Colour Accuracy
HDR Brightness
HDR Colour Accuracy
HDR Colour Saturation
Local dimming
How accurate the picture is out of the box (without having to change any settings)

To be honest I wouldn’t know how

Now for bugs, tell us your possible pet hates related to TVs, in descending order:

Motion Blur
Motion Judder
Motion stutter
Temporary image retention
Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming
Soap Opera Effect
3:2 Pulldown Judder with 24hz movies. See: Judder-Free 24p on TVs
Loss of detail in dark areas
Reflective screens
Haloing
Colour banding. See: Gradients on TVs: Color bit depth(warning this is not the same as vertical banding, for vertical banding see bad screen uniformity)

Same as above, not really qualified to answer

Now which is most important to you?

4 - Price
6 - Connections
3 - Smart TV (which apps)?
1 - HDR PQ
2 - SDR PQ
5 - Sound
7 - Wide Viewing angles

There are various options on the John Lewis website:

I could also get a Panasonic TX40GX700B refurbished with 1-year warranty for £339, but that might be more than I need.

I would like 32” or 40”, a good HD picture, ideally good SD upscaling, and good on-demand support.

Thanks all

Last edited:
Hi all, my 32” Samsung UH32H4500AK TV (not my main Panasonic 50”) needs replacing because it fell onto its front and my guess is it will cost the same to buy a new one as it would to fix the screen. I’ve copied the question from the other thread if anyone would be kind enough to help. I’m looking to buy from John Lewis around £250-£350 and there are a good few options.

What are your sources going to be? For example:
Do you have fibre internet capable of UHD streaming? No
Will you be buying and using an UHD Blu-Ray player? No
Netflix? Yes
Amazon? No
Apple TV? No
Catch up TV? Yes
HDR games consoles? No (Nintendo Switch but would more likely use that on the 50”)
PC usage? No
DVDs? Possibly
FHD Blu-Rays? No
Sky, BT or Virgin? UHD or HD? Freeview. HD
  • SD vs HD vs UHD use percentage? eg 20% 60% 20% - probably 20/80/0
  • Movies, sport, console games, PC use in percentage? eg 20% 60% 20% - 80/10/10/0
  • How close can you view the TV? A couple of meters
  • Do you need to view the TV from the side or only straight on? Straight on (two people)
  • What conditions do you view in? During the day? At night with lights on? In the dark? Usually blinds closed lights on
  • What TV are you currently using and what are expecting to see upgrading to a new TV? Samsung UH32H4500AK, really liked the picture on it, just want a good HD picture and on demand (possibly Freeview Play)
  • Motion - Are you interested in being able to use motion enhancements on your TV to reduce judder and/or reduce motion blur? Both frame interpolation and frame insertion let you do this, read more about it here. They both have their upsides and downsides, so read carefully.

Please rearrange the following PQ attributes, in descending importance:

Blacks
SDR Brightness
SDR Colour Saturation
SDR Colour Accuracy
HDR Brightness
HDR Colour Accuracy
HDR Colour Saturation
Local dimming
How accurate the picture is out of the box (without having to change any settings)

To be honest I wouldn’t know how

Now for bugs, tell us your possible pet hates related to TVs, in descending order:

Motion Blur
Motion Judder
Motion stutter
Temporary image retention
Bad screen uniformity, Dirty Screen Effect, Clouding, Light Bleed, Blooming
Soap Opera Effect
3:2 Pulldown Judder with 24hz movies. See: Judder-Free 24p on TVs
Loss of detail in dark areas
Reflective screens
Haloing
Colour banding. See: Gradients on TVs: Color bit depth(warning this is not the same as vertical banding, for vertical banding see bad screen uniformity)

Same as above, not really qualified to answer

Now which is most important to you?

4 - Price
6 - Connections
3 - Smart TV (which apps)?
1 - HDR PQ
2 - SDR PQ
5 - Sound
7 - Wide Viewing angles

There are various options on the John Lewis website:

I could also get a Panasonic TX40GX700B refurbished with 1-year warranty for £339, but that might be more than I need.

I would like 32” or 40”, a good HD picture, ideally good SD upscaling, and good on-demand support.

Thanks all
I recommend either LG 43UM7450PLA (2020) from Curry & PC World or Samsung UE43TU7000(2020) from John Lewis. Why 43”, because they are best value for money. both cost £299 Smart TV.

LG has Active HDR/HDR10/Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG), 4K UHD, Freeview Play, with award winning webOS platform.
LG has Google Assistant, Bluetooth and magic remote control. The magic remote control has a pointer and voice control making searching a piece of cake and is recognised as the best remote for voice recognition.

Samsung works with Google Assistant and Alexa, a disadvantage compared to LG.
Samsung offers better gaming.
Samsung has HDR/HDR10+, 4K UHD, TV plus, Bluetooth and Tizen platform.

I personally would prefer LG over Samsung because you get more for your money plus ease of using. Both offer similar nice picture and indistinguishable sound quality. Both support apps including Netflix, Amazon, U-tube, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, all 4, etc.

Good Luck.

Thanks for this. My only concern with 43” and 4K is how well does an HD picture (and even more so an SD picture as some Freeview channels are SD only) upscale on the bigger screen. Do both of the above TVs upscale adequately?

Thanks for this. My only concern with 43” and 4K is how well does an HD picture (and even more so an SD picture as some Freeview channels are SD only) upscale on the bigger screen. Do both of the above TVs upscale adequately?
Upscaling for FHD and SD is to ensure that the picture fills the 4K resolution of the screen. It is an incredibly involved process that requires powerful processor. For cheaper and yet bigger TV, you may already realise that cutting edge upscaling is less likely, that is why you 'pop' the question. However the upscaling will ensure that the 43" looks similar if not better that the 32" without upscaling. Good luck.

Last edited:
With SD content in mind you'll definitely want to stick to a 32" HD model. No point at all going for a larger TV, especially a UHD one that will have more upscaling to do, and present it a lot softer on a larger screen.

32" TVs are really quite rare now, but I'd recommend LGs 32" LM range which come with good smart TV and freeview play. Blacks are not the best, but no worse than your old TV.

I'd avoid Panasonic because they outsource production of their lower tier TVs to Vestel. It makes them really no better build quality than cheaper super market brands.

The Samsung I'm really not sure which panel type it uses, if its IPS its picture quality will be similar to the LG and the Panasonic it replaces and if it using a VA type panel it will have better blacks and contrast, but at the expense of viewing angles.

Samsung also don't have Freeview play, but their TVPlus thing is similar.

LG do the LM range in 720p and 1080p, so if you want HD to look a little better for the sake of SD looking a little worse, go with the 1080p model here if you decide on LG: LG 32 inch HDR Smart LED TV

Good spot, interesting that John Lewis don’t have the full HD one. I’ll go with the Richer Sounds LG. Thanks all, much appreciated :)

Good spot, interesting that John Lewis don’t have the full HD one. I’ll go with the Richer Sounds LG. Thanks all, much appreciated :)
Upscaling for FHD and SD is to ensure that the picture fills the 4K resolution of the screen. It is an incredibly involved process that requires powerful processor. For cheaper and yet bigger TV, you may already realise that cutting edge upscaling (perfect picture) is less likely, that is why you 'pop' the question. However the upscaling model present in these 2 TV will ensure that the 43" looks similar if not better than the 32" without upscaling.
There is a £20 voucher today (24/5/2020) offers by Curry&PC World for the LG TV, making it £278.
Good luck.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom