Looking for < 23inch LCD/LED TV with Freeview HD Tuner inbuilt

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by JamsDM, Jan 9, 2012.

1. JamsDM

JamsDM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I have 2 old CRT Portables with analogue tuners to replace due to Digital switch over in 6months time.

I am looking to replace with either 19/22inch LCD/LED screens but would like the TV's to be able to tune into Freeview HD Channels which will be available on my transmitter in 6months time. I do not want to have a separate tuner box just for the HD Channels.

Are there any small (19 / 22inch) LCD/LEDs which have Freeview HD Tuners built in or is anyone aware of any planned for release soon?

Many thanks

2. mikej

mikej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    What's your viewing distance ?

You're only going to benefit from Freeview HD (in terms of picture resolution at least) if you're sat a few feet away from a screen that size.

When I bought a couple of smaller (19" and 22") LCDs for other rooms in the house a year or two ago, none came with Freeview HD tuners - presumably for that reason. Not sure if this has changed recently, though ?

AFAIK, all the content currently broadcast on the Freeview HD channels is also shown in SD, either simultaneously or at other times, so you're not missing out on content if you can't get HD.

3. JamsDM

JamsDM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike - viewing distance will be quite close 4-6 feet.

There's plenty of affordable HD Ready/Full HD small screens about, just none seem to have Freeview HD Tuner inside.

4. xeny

xeny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JamsDM, I doubt anyone will rush to release a FreeviewHD capable small screen TV.

There's no advantage to discernible picture quality to have HD on such a small screen, and the selling price will be lower for a smaller set compared to a larger one, so it's an added cost that manufacturers will like to avoid if possible.

If you don't want to buy TVs without Freeview HD, and your existing TVs don't have SCART sockets for an ordinary freeview box, you could look for freeview boxes with RF outputs that plug in to an existing TV aerial socket.

5. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  6. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    There is a Panasonic HD ready version of this Panasonic for £219 from Richer Sounds.

Panasonic VIERA TXL24C3 | 24 inch LCD TV HD Ready Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

I demo'd this alongside the Full HD one and couldn't really tell the difference. It makes a great little set for bedroom use and I've been very pleased with it. Sounds good too as it is not an ultra-thin LED backlit model.

7. JamsDM

JamsDM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vicster - thanks, there's also a 19" version of the http://www.hiwayhifi.com/site/produc...469&Prod=33507 available on Amazon - with nice enough reviews.

Mike7 - thanks another great possibility.

Would ideally like a 22" though for my Kitchen, anyone have any other suggestions?