Question Looking at upgrading from iPhone 6s to IPhone 12 Pro

marcaaron22

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently using an iPhone 6s on iOS 12.1 (yes I know, I should at least be on the latest iOS version, lol) I think it’s time for an upgrade,
Reasons for upgrading,
1. I’ve had the phone for around 6 or 7 years,
2. The battery’s health is down to 73% maximum capacity,
3. Could do with bigger storage.
4. Ready for 5G for if/when it’s available in my area.

I am looking at getting the iPhone 12 Pro (512GB), As I think the size of the 12 Pro Max will be too big.

Will I notice a difference between the 6s and the 12 Pro, performance/feature-wise? And good or bad?

Also, looking at buying directly from Apple’s online store.

Had a iPhone xr & I agree the max is too big had one for 3 weeks from John Lewis managed to return it said there was a fault Absolutely Hated it too big for pockets & heavy.

Camere will be a lot better hopefully battery aswell.
performance should be faster but I wouldn't say that much but it depends on what you use it for, my
mate had the 6s & got the iPhone 11 & apart from the games he plays loading faster etc.
In his own words he said theys not a lot in it Yes it's faster but not seconds if your just texting & makings calls.
As for buying outright it's good no high monthly cost just your sim only cost,
I ended up paying £609 upfront & £32 over 2 years iPhone 12 pro 256gb with EE for 50gb of 5g data calls & text
will end costing me £11.58 per month in theory once you take of the upfront cost & monthly cost Compared to buying outright.

Is it easy enough to transfer everything over from the 6s to the 12 Pro?
Photos/Videos
Notes
Contacts

Is it easy enough to transfer everything over from the 6s to the 12 Pro?
Photos/Videos
Notes
Contacts
If you've got your 6S backed up to iCloud, yes.
When you come to setup the 12 Pro just select the “restore from iCloud backup” option.
You can also select to sit both phones next to each other and there is an option to copy everything that way but since the 12 Pro will come with iOS 14 I'm not sure that will work.

If you've got your 6S backed up to iCloud, yes.
When you come to setup the 12 Pro just select the “restore from iCloud backup” option.
You can also select to sit both phones next to each other and there is an option to copy everything that way but since the 12 Pro will come with iOS 14 I'm not sure that will work.
I don’t really use iCloud as the amount of stuff on my phone would exceed the 5GB of free iCloud storage.

The 6s should transfer all the data on to the 12.
The 6s can run the latest ios I think & you will still have all your data still on your old iPhone just in case.
It did mine on my xr best part of 70gb but I had no music on mine.
All you do is switch on the new iPhone & follow the instructions to transfer one phone to another.
I don't back my iPhone to the cloud just the pictures to Google pics & I don't use itunes to backup on the computer just because it takes to long to switch on :D

I went from a 6S to a normal 12 at the end of November, massive jump and well worth it. My 6S was still running iOS 14 pretty well but the battery was shot so it was time for a change and not regretted it.

In terms of transferring i did have an iCloud backup but when i got the new phone i swapped my Sim over and then just put them next to each other and it gave me the option to transfer things from the 6S to the 12. Did this and it transferred all my data etc and it just had to be left to download all my apps and music overnight. Was really easy.

but when i got the new phone i swapped my Sim over and then just put them next to each other
I'll be doing this later today when my new 12 Pro Max arrives replacing my XS Max but I wondered at what point should I swap the SIM card over...before or after starting the transfer.
Does it matter?

Last edited:
I put the sim in the new phone before turning it on. I think it may help with the activation part but not 100% sure, putting it in before turning the new phone on worked when i did it.

When ordering directly from Apple,
A few things to ask,
Do I have to use my Apple ID/email address that I use on my current phone?, meaning will the new iPhone be assigned to my Apple ID/email or am I able to buy the new phone using a different email address that I have?
The reason I ask this is because I don’t have my bank details assigned to my Apple ID,
For a few reasons,
1. In case I lose my phone
2. In case My Apple ID gets hacked
3. Any drunken nights where I might accidentally buy something that I don’t really want lol

The phone shouldnt be assigned to any Apple ID until its actually signed into the phone with it i dont think.

Well, I’ve bit the bullet and ordered the iPhone 12 Pro (512GB) in graphite, directly from the Apple online store, due to receive it around 20th January..

One question that probably always gets asked, is it best to fully charge it as soon as you get it out the box before you even attempt to switch it on to start using it?

I didnt but people will have different thoughts i suspect....what to do with batteries seems to be a topic that splits people. For me i've never really been that fussy about when i charge it, as a CarPlay user i cant be as i have to plug it in for it to work so its charging then anyway.

One question that probably always gets asked, is it best to fully charge it as soon as you get it out the box before you even attempt to switch it on to start using it?
No, not necessary, they come (at least my new iPhone 12 Pro Max did) with a 50-60% charge.

Apart from the email from Apple stating that I’ve ordered the phone and the due date between 20th and 27th January, there has been no movement yet, no other email or text and no pending payment yet in my bank, is this normal?

Yes, that's normal.
You'll get an email stating a despatch date.

Does the iPhone 12 Pro come with the charger?
If not, am I still able to use the one from the iPhone 6S?

No, no chargers come with any of the 12’s.
Yes, your existing chargers will still work.

That's a bit of a liberty, a £1K+ phone comes with no charger! So if you don't have a charger, more expense.

Apple's excuse/reasoning for that is without a charger they can make the box half the size therefore they can get twice as many in a shipment thereby cutting down on global warming.
They supply a lightning to USB-C cable in the box which has the advantage of quicker charging when used with an appropriate charger.
As all iPhones still use the lightning port any of the previous chargers will still work.
I think Samsung have also adopted the policy of not supplying a charger with their recently announced flagship mobile.

That's a bit of a liberty, a £1K+ phone comes with no charger! So if you don't have a charger, more expense.

Who doesn’t have a charger at this point? Plus, Apple will have the data to prove the majority of people buying iPhones are upgrading :)

Well, if you upgrade, you normally sell your old phone, presumably with the charger!

Any recommendations for cases/covers? , I have a Spigen that I use on the 6S, looking for the same for the 12 Pro but transparent if possible.
Also any good screen protectors to go for, not really fussed on tempered glass screen protectors, just the plastic ones will do..

Thanks

This is the case/cover I’m using on the 6S..
E0FC443A-821D-4057-B3DC-49E81AE723C6.jpeg
AE24BA6D-1DE5-4B2C-ACB7-981604E796DB.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom