Question Looking at upgrading from iPhone 6s to IPhone 12 Pro

marcaaron22

Looking at getting this case;

Spigen Liquid Crystal case compatible with iPhone 12 2020 Compatible with iPhone 12 Pro 2020 - Crystal Clear Amazon product

marcaaron22

And for the screen protector (as I don’t like the tempered glass ones) these;
TECHGEAR [Pack of 5] Screen Protectors for iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro - CLEAR LCD Screen Protector Guard Covers with Cleaning Cloth & Application Card Compatible with iPhone 12 Pro/iPhone 12 6.1" Amazon product

marcaaron22

Got a txt and email this afternoon to say that the iPhone 12 Pro is due to be delivered tomorrow by DPD, so I’ve just ordered the case and screen protector as above

Jules Tohpipi

I updated from a 6S Plus to a XS Max two months ago. When setting up the new phone I ensured my 6S Plus was on and nearby. SIM was put in new phone before first power on. Powered on the XS Max for the first time and about three steps into the setup it detected my 6S and asked if I wanted to transfer everything from it to the new phone. I selected yes, and it transferred the lot in about 15 mins. No wire, no iCloud, just an automatic wireless link between the two phones.

marcaaron22

I updated from a 6S Plus to a XS Max two months ago. When setting up the new phone I ensured my 6S Plus was on and nearby. SIM was put in new phone before first power on. Powered on the XS Max for the first time and about three steps into the setup it detected my 6S and asked if I wanted to transfer everything from it to the new phone. I selected yes, and it transferred the lot in about 15 mins. No wire, no iCloud, just an automatic wireless link between the two phones.

Did you fully charge your phone beforehand or during the setup process?, does the phone still come on as soon as you plug the charger in?
Also, what iOS was your 6S on and does it matter which iOS is running for the transfer to work?

bransoj

Did you fully charge your phone beforehand or during the setup process?, does the phone still come on as soon as you plug the charger in?
Also, what iOS was your 6S on and does it matter which iOS is running for the transfer to work?
Your current 6S will need to be on iOS 12.4 or higher which is when the transfer process was first added to iOS. I just turned my new phone on and it had about 50/60% charge i think and did the transfer, used it until i went to bed and charged it overnight leaving it to download all the apps and music i have. The transfer tells the new phone what you have apps & music wise but they then download again not transfer over. The transfer is basically for user data so when you open the apps after download they are pretty much as they were.

Only thing you may need to consider a bit more is potentially banking apps which may have more processes in place for a change of device. I had to authorise the cards i'd added to Apple Pay as well.

marcaaron22

Right, I received the iPhone 12 Pro on Thursday, got a case and screen protector for it over the weekend,

My current iPhone 6S is running on iOS 12.1
Got 3,299 photos,
171 videos,
106 apps,
257 songs (ripped from my own CD collection and not from Apple Music),
190 notes,
and around 30 favourites/bookmarks in safari.

Is there anything that I need to do, to ensure that nothing gets lost/deleted?

Not used my laptop for a while so no doubt they’ll be a stack of updates for Windows, and I will no doubt need to update iTunes.

Thanks,

marcaaron22

Will the transfer from the 6S to the 12 Pro still work if I update the 6S from iOS12.1 to the latest iOS update 14.3?
What I mean is, what iOS will the 12 Pro be on ?

marcaaron22

Any help, please..

Thanks

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I got my 12 Pro Max a couple of weeks ago and it came with iOS14.1 or 14.2, sorry, can’t remember the exact version TBH.
My XS Max I was transferring from was on 14.2, anyway, it wasn't a problem and I chose to transfer them via Bluetooth sitting side by side, it went smoothly, didn't lose a thing.
As said previously, the only thing I had to setup again was my bank and credit cards for Apple Pay.
I think you'll be fine.

marcaaron22

Just letting you know that my iPhone 12 Pro is all set up,
Many thanks on the advice, really happy with it, it’s way better than the 6S, a great leap..
Now looking at getting the charger plug so that I can use the faster charging cable that came with the phone, Currys/PC World have the official Apple plug for £19, and also the headphones adapter for £8 or £9 I think so I may as well get that too..

Last edited:

marcaaron22

Hi, been using the iPhone 12 Pro since the end of January this year,
This morning I noticed the iPhone battery life has dropped 1% from 100% to 99%, as of today.
Is this normal and would you expect this after 6 to 7 months?

bransoj

Well i've got an iPhone 12 since about September\October last year and its dropped to 99% and i've no concerns about it. I wouldnt worry to much that its dropped 1% in that time, in the grand scheme of things the overall difference that will make is negligible.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom