Looking at some new 4K UHD and QLEDs

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by rich16979, Jul 23, 2019.

1. rich16979

rich16979
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been stuck deciding between a few different TVs, namely the Samsung Q80/Q90 and Q9FN and the Sony X900F and X950G. I'm going to post my thought process and questions below

1. Q80 vs Q90. Is there really that big of a difference? Q90 costs way more, but gets much better reviews. Are upscaling, black levels, or motion noticeably better on the Q90 than on the Q80? Q9FN also costs way less. Are the Q80 or Q90 that big of an upgrade over evne the Q9?
    2. Black levels: The Samsungs seem to have better local dimming which produces better black levels. However, the algorithms seem a bit aggressive and can cause loss of detail in dark areas. How does this look on the Q80/Q90 when the local dimming is set to low? Do you lose those great black levels or get really bad blooming?
    3. Color accuracy: Most places say that Sonys have much better color accuracy and from what I've seen in store that's true. Samsungs seem to oversaturate and make colors way too bright. Is there a way that Samsungs can get close to perfect color accuracy through calibration? I love the way colors look on the Sonys, but I would love to get the deeper blacks from the Samsungs if I could somehow avoid those neon super bright colors.
    4. Upscaling: Sonys supposedly have the best processors on the market. They are supposed to handle motion and upscaling from cable the best. How are motion handling and upscaling on the Samsungs? I watch a lot of sports and movies on cable, so I need a TV to handle these things and make them look smooth and natural.
    Ideally I want the TV with great black levels (without too much detail loss), accurate and vivid colors, smooth and natural looking motion, excellent upscaling from cable, good ability to watch 4K content streaming from Netflix. I am avoiding OLED due to burn in risk. I don't care about sound, viewing angle, or gaming features.

From what I've seen:

X900F/950: Accurate colors, More detailed picture, great processing on motion and upscaling, good, but not great black levels. More cost effective

Samsung Q80/Q90: Bright colors, inaccurate colors (can this be calibrated close to Sony?), amazing black levels, loss of some detail in dark scenes (can this be fixed by putting local dimming on low?), good processing of motion (any way to make it stutter and flicker free?), good upscaling. More expensive for Q90, so is Q80 still better than both the Sonys?

Samsung Q9FN: Appears to get great reviews in terms of black levels, but looks like it might have problems handling motion.

The way I see it, the Sonys are great out of the box, but if it seems like the Samsungs can be calibrated in terms of things like color accuracy and motion handling to be close to the Sonys then I would rather go Samsung. Sonys have their strengths but can't be calibrated into better black levels, so I'm just seeing if maybe I can get the best of both worlds with one of the higher end Samsungs.

I plan on using the TV the following way:
    Sports, movies and news from Comcast cable box (80%)
    Netflix shows and movies (15%)
    Blue Ray (5%)

Hope to hear from some of the experts here!

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The Q90 is in a different league to all the others with I think 480 backlit led sectors. All the others have only about 48?
    The Sony is better compared to the Q80 etc, and possibly has better mtion handling than the Samsung. I wouldnt have a Q70 due to the poorer off angle viewing and ommission of the anti reflective system. Had I gone for an LED set, I would have picked the Q80 myself as the best compromise between off angle viewing, anti reflection and performance.

3. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,280
    Q80 has 96 zones. It’s better than either Sony.

And yes, you can calibrate Samsung sets.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,479
    Motion is highly subjective, I certainly haven't heard that the Q9FN has problems handling motion. I guess you won't really know until you own the TV if you are happy with motion, short of being able to sample some motion in the store before you buy, but really for that you'd need a good local store and to take some of your own content on USB...and its still no guarantee the TV will act the same when you use it at home with your own sources.

You can of course rely on what other people say, but I've heard people laud and criticise both Sony and Samsung's motion. If you aren't someone to use frame insertion or add motion interpolation it won't actually matter at all which TV you choose as any will be adept showing motion without advance features.

Where the big differences lay is when you DO use motion settings on the TV, some people will say that Sony's implementation of motion interpolation is more natural whilst Samsung TV's have much better black frame insertion if you plan on using that to reduce motion blur.

One thing you haven't mentioned is pricing, how does the pricing you can get compare? Usually its cheaper to get a 2018 model in clearance than it will be to get a new 2019 model.

Also you mention you are going to use Netflix for 15% of the time and Netflix back dolby vision, so that is one point swayed towards the Sony's.

Colour really is a mixed bag, the Q9FN does have problems out of the box tracking colours at high brightness levels and that can be alleviated with pro calibration but whilst they have this problem they also have the benefit of also being able to show more colours at brighter levels and more colour in general, so the colour will certainly "pop" a bit more on the Samsung's compared to the Sony's.

And no mention of OLEDs? Are you not interested in them? What about the Samsung Q8FN which doesn't seem to carry the same problems tracking colours out of the box that the Q9FN does.