Looking at PW6, think I have my questions answered..but..

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by SilverPenguin7, May 26, 2004.

1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sorry for yet another PW6 thread everyone (thanks to a certain forum offer I'm sure)!! I have read as many other threads as I can and think I have answered most of the questions I had but I just wanted to make sure of this, again so sorry I'm sure for most of you its a pain but for someone who doesn't know much and is on the verge of spending over £2k I gotta be sure... :)

Ok, I am wanting to connect Sky+, DVD and Xbox to the screen...

Sky+: I understand a RGB2VGA convertor will give a better picture so that part is sorted. This connects to the built in input on the screen as far as I understand.

DVD: My player is long overdue an upgrade so am going for one with composite output, so with my PW6 the board I am after would be the Composite and SVHS which seems to make sense?

Xbox (or future console): At the moment I have a scart switch box with both my Sky and Xbox plugged in, would I be able to plug this switch box in to the RGB2VGA convertor or would this result in an even longer delay in picture processing and maybe not as good a picture as plugging straight in to the convertor? My thoughts where either just un-plug sky and plug in xbox when I use it or but a second scart terminal board?

Does this model have a fab built in and is it on all the time or just kicks in now and again? If so would it be any louder than a Sky+ fan? I will be sitting roughly 8 feet from the display and what with Sky humming in the background from time to time a second noise might just start to annoy!
    So I think I pretty much understand whats what, I have already accepted that there will be lip sync problems but hopefully I will be able to live with that....although having said that being 8 foot from a 42" screen probably makes it even more apparent! I was gonna go for a 37" but at the price that 42" seems to good to ignore! Unless anyone can suggest another screen with a strict budget of £2500 MAX..?

Hope someone can help me put my mind to rest, thank you :)

2. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    sorry for being totaly off topic, just gotta say I love your photos on your 2 websites, u certainly have an eye for a good picture.

jason

3. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cheers mate, good of you to say :smashin:

4. macdaddy

macdaddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I think you'll be wanting a DVD player with component output rather than composite (which is the worst in terms of PQ) and get the matching component input board on the Panny.

5. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hmmm well spotted!! At least you knew what I didn't mean lol. Sorry been up since 430am from an early shift so my mind wasn't on the job when I posted that :)

6. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi SilverPenguin7,

I am also just about to buy (next week I hope) this same model, and think I can answer your questions...

1) Sky+. Excellent choice with the JS RGB-VGA box, I am getting the same. Don't forget to budget for a good quality scart lead and VGA lead here as well. Also buy it from JS themselves as they have a new version 2 out with more improvements like gold connectors! and maybe get the VGA cable from them as well, they do an upgraded one.

2) DVD Player. Now I think you got confused by saying 'composite'. When you upgrade you are sure to get a progressive scan dvd player with 'component' outputs :) So the input board on the Panny6 that you purchase (or get in that great offer ;)) will need to be a component one. These are either RCA or BNC connectors, there is these 2 boards so I guess u can get either. BNC are considered better but as most likely they will be RCA on the dvd player then you may as well go that route.

3) X-Box. What I am simply going to do is set my X-Box to RGB output and making sure I use a good quality 'X-Box to RGB scart cable' I will connect this to the 2nd scart socket on my Sky+ box. This will allow the RGB signal to pass through and subsequently be converted by the JS Box :D So no swapping or messing required really! This will also be pretty good for me as the RF outputs on the sky box will still work for the upstairs telly, so with the sky box still switched on the missus can watch 'big brother' *cringes* upstairs whilst the xbox image should overide the sky on rgb scart and I can game on the 42 incher :p

I also think these are fanless (not 100% sure) so you should hear nothing apart from maybe a very slight psu buzz from the panel.

7. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ah ok cool, Alastair at av-s said they can supply the rgb2vga box so I'll hae to double check if its the new one or not when I purchase.

This puzzles me slightly, so I could run the risk of getting a dvd player with the wrong component connection depending on the board I get? Unless RCA is pretty much the standard for DVD platers?

Sounds good, although excuse my ignorance but if I plug the xbox in to the second scart on the sky how do I go about getting the xbox picture on screen? Are there any menu settings on the sky to change and how do I select the xbox?

Ooooh that would be most agreable if that was teh case...lol

8. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't let the component thing confuse you mate, most dvd players are RCA, just three phono connectors, red green and blue.

To get the xbox pic up you just power up the xbox. As soon as sky recognises a signal from the other socket it seems to switch over. You could even switch sky off if required. And just switch xbox back off to view the sky image again. You should test this with your current tv to be sure :)

Also another alternative to connect xbox image is using an xbox component lead. Connect this either to another component board which you'd need to buy for the Panny, or if you have an av surround amp that has component switching you can use that for dvd/xbox to switch.

Or I guess as a third option you could use a scart switchbox before you feed the JS box.

Just make sure you are 100% happy yourself before you buy. Ask any little questions no matter how trivial, I've only been a member a short while but the guys here are a great bunch, very helpful :)