Looking at Porsche Cayenne Turbo

PlasmaManiac

Established Member
Reaction score
Chaps

Im in the market for a Porsche Cayenne Turbo around 2005, does anyone in AVF run one? Im just after some feedback from an owner, pros, cons etc...

Thanks

It was top of my shortlist last summer when I was in the market to change my car and all of the research that I undertook showed me that the car was everything that one would expect - very fast, very capable, Porsche build quality but hefty depreciation and high running costs.

In the end the only reason that I didn't buy one was that I decided that I didn't want to drive a car that big.

I know that many people don't like the look of this car but seeing as the OP hasn't asked for opinions on what it looks like, could we leave that subject alone please.

- very fast, very capable, Porsche build quality but hefty depreciation and high running costs.

Staggering levels of depreciation,and some reliability issues.

Bought used makes them a far better proposition,but it is worth your while having a trawl through places like Parkers and HonestJohn for a look at what can go wrong.

As with all things Porsche,overall reliability is generally good,but the costs of servicing and fault fixing have to be added into your budget.

My boss has one...I'd say they've pretty much hit rock bottom for pricing. They chew through tyres, petrol and pretty much everything else consumable by a vehicle. Very expensive to run but apart from that (he's a multi millionaire so that sort of expenditure is incidental) he loves it. Except when I ask him how his VW Touareg is going...hehe.

Staggering levels of depreciation,and some reliability issues.

The guy across the road has two.
See photo below.

Photo149.jpg

A 3.2 one, which he says is slow as hell, and a turbo.
He'll certainly vouch for reliability issues on his turbo one.
He called me over one day, as it had a horrendous knocking.
It sounded serious, we were right.
Turns out one of the pistons was slapping around in the bore.
It cost him £11k to put it right.:eek:
Allegedly, the dealer/Porsche just whack in new engines, rather than rebuild.
Maybe they ripped him off, I dunno.
I also read a test of the new diesel Cayenne v the X6 diesel, just last week.
They said the interior build quality is poor compared with the BMW.

Thanks Guys

I really do like the look of the KN, and the running costs do not concern me, however stories like Bowfer's do.

I just really want to know if there are any 'real' reliability issues with the 'Turbo', if so I may go with just the 'S' instead. It may be that Bowfer's neighbour was just unlucky, maybe the history of the vehicle would tell a few tales.

Anyone running one?

Thanks Guys

I really do like the look of the KN, and the running costs do not concern me, however stories like Bowfer's do.

I just really want to know if there are any 'real' reliability issues with the 'Turbo', if so I may go with just the 'S' instead. It may be that Bowfer's neighbour was just unlucky, maybe the history of the vehicle would tell a few tales.

Anyone running one?

What would the likes of 'warranty direct' charge you for a warranty?
My neighbour isn't the sort to do that, but he's also able to splash £11k out on repairs without baulking too much.
Lucky sod.

EDIT, their online thing only quotes the Boxster.
You'd have to call them for a Cayenne.

If you buy from a Porsche dealer they will warrant the car for a year anyway. One of our local dealers (Autobarn in Coventry) offers their own 12 month warranty which is similar in scope to the official Porsche one but I don't know if any of the other independents will also do that.

How many times did you visit the petrol station today? :)

Just to let you guys know that I picked one up today, awesome SUV very pleased.

Lucky sod!

I'm also looking at one do you mind me asking what year and price you got yours for and where you got it from?

Also update in a week or two on how its going

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Lucky sod!

I'm also looking at one do you mind me asking what year and price you got yours for and where you got it from?

Also update in a week or two on how its going

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Of course, I was incredibly lucky picked up an absolute bargain. Paid £14,500 for a 2003 Black Cayenne Turbo with Black Leather/Interior. Also has NAV/PCM, Multifunction wheel, sunroof, roof rails, running boards, 20" Teckno Alloys, Rear DVD Screens and all the standard extras. Has 66K on the clock with full dealer history. Got the vehicle in a private sale, have been checking autotrader several times a day to pick this bargain up.

Almost paid 21K for similiar vehicle from a trader but it was a 2004 with 59K, and no roof rails, no running boards and no rear DVD screens.

Will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
crikey 14.5 grand , thats crazy. How much were they new !!?. SOunds like a cracking bargain to me.

Nice one:cool:, very Jealous!

I have been looking at these for a couple of months as a potential replacement for my Focus ST (thinking about more space for the family but still a sporty look), but I worry about the cost of keeping it on the road, even though they are now silly money to buy.

Think I will end up with a diesel Toureg instead (with Altitude pack hopefully), nearly as nice as yours:), but not quite:rolleyes:

Enjoy:smashin:

Congrats, stunning piece of kit and for that money its a stunning bargain. I looked at chopping my 911 in for one about 2 years ago and the cheapest i could find one was around £43k. After driving one I thought that was actually a pretty good price for what it was.

Handles and goes like an M5.

Even though the warranty is expensive I would definitely put it through the process and get one. The slightest thing goes wrong and you have chewed up way more than the £1400 it costs!

The last thing for me (and I NEVER worry about things like running costs!) was the amount of petrol it chews up. Single figure mpg at times would be OK whilst you still had the wow factor but filling with £80's worth of fuel every couple of days would get old really quickly!

I had a bog standard Cayenee for 4 years, changed to x6 this Jan, and never had any major issues with it.

Warranty - worth every penny with the price of fixes for Porsches though!

I posted a photo of my neighbour's house earlier in this thread.
The bloke who has (had..) two Cayennes.
I was speaking to him last night, he said he's sold the 3.2
He was a bit hacked off that all he could get was £11.5k.
I've no idea what year it was, it was on a private plate.
Still, a Porsche Cayenne with FSH for Focus money.
Quite incredible really, if you can afford to run one.

I posted a photo of my neighbour's house earlier in this thread.
The bloke who has (had..) two Cayennes.
I was speaking to him last night, he said he's sold the 3.2
He was a bit hacked off that all he could get was £11.5k.

Tell him to put some of the money towards concealing those horrible blue garage doors......did the builder hang those in the dark?

Last edited:
Still, a Porsche Cayenne with FSH for Focus money.
Quite incredible really, if you can afford to run one.

The running costs aren't too bad as long as one doesn't do huge mileages. Now that we live in an era where many people work from home I don't think that the long assumed average mileage of 12,000 per annum is the case any longer.

I used to do 30,000 a year most of which was commuting but now that's down to 6,000 and my wife has a 30 mile round trip to work so she averages 7,000 a year so the difference between the 19-20mpg of a Cayenne and more economic cars is much less painful.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom