Question Looking at new 4k TV, worried about AV AMP & 4k...

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by FaxFan2002, May 1, 2016.

1. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hi All,

I'm currently running a Yamaha DSP-5100 (to a 1080p TV) which as far as I can tell supports HDMI 1.4b and does "pass through".

I understand that this will also pass through HDMI 2.0, however I'm wondering about HDCP 2.2 and if this will work as pass through as well - bearing in mind Sky Q specifications.

I don't want to drop £2k on a 4k TV only having to find I then need to upgrade my sound bar.

2. jwsg

jwsg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    If the amp/soundbar is spec'd at HDMI 1,4 then it will work with that - which is actually OK for 4K 30fps - but not HDMI 2.0, and not the new HDCP needed for 4K Blu-ray, and not HDMI 2.0a needed for HDR. The UHD Blu-ray players have two HDMIs just for this reason, the 2nd goes straight to the TV for video.

3. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    So should be covered on 4k blu ray, I guess it's a waiting game with Sky Q to see what standard they actually implement...

4. jwsg

jwsg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    If it only has one HDMI then the alternative is to connect it to the TV and let the TV pass through DD 5.1 audio down to the soundbar. I have a AV receiver and it will need upgrading to pass HDMI 2.0 - but the downside to this setup is the TV uses only one HDMI input and therefore one set of settings for all sources - so there is no perfect solution.