Looking at getting Philips 37pf9830, or should I get something else?

john251282

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there guys,

I am looking to buy a new LCD or plasma, from what I ahve seen the Philips 37pf9830 seems to be welled reviewed and a nice looking set for me to hookup my Xbox360, Sky HD, PC and DVD player to. But I would just like to check if you guys might suggest something else. Budget is probably around £2500 but that is flexible. I would like to be able to hook the above up to it, I don't care about sound quality as I hook it up to cinema sound system anyway.

I would also like your suggestions on a good wall mount, preferably able to move away from wall easily to a fair distance maybe 1m, and tilt/swivel.

Anyway if you have any suggestions please let me know

John

I have a 37pf9830 and am delighted with it.

I bought it mainly because it seemed pointless to buy a HD screen that wasn't a 1080 panel. I don't use any of what I consider 'gimmicks' (Pixel Plus etc.) preferring to tune the contrast etc. myself.

There are plenty of people who think this screen is less than perfect, but lots of advice on it too if you search.

If I was buying now I'd also seriously consider the new Sony 1080 screens (X series?). And there is a reported Philips replacement coming out soon that may have ethernet and built in freeview, this model is quite old now relatively speaking. The 42PF9830 had ethernet, which the 37 doesn't, but was discontinued by Philips, reportedly because they couldn't get enough 42in 1080 panels. I have seen a few new ones on eBay since.

One minor drawback is its only got one HDMI socket.

I have the 37PF9830 also.
I do think it is less than perfect , BUT it is still an excellent display and i am glad i did not go for something else.
It's native resolution is it's party piece.1920x1080.
Even the successors to this display have a lower native resolution.

Pixel Plus 2 is a great feature IMO and ambilight II just makes it fabulous to watch especially in the dark , less strain on the eyes.
Only one component in also , which can be a pain for 360 & DVD owners.

Would i go for it again ? . YES definately.
It's got updated firmware too which is great for future changes if phillips get their finger out.

Thanks for help guys.

Yes I have been looking at the Sony X-series but they don't seem to go down to 37-40 inch bracket, 46 is way to big for the room I am putting it in.

Do people reckon the updated version the 37pf9831 is worth waiting for or just grab the 9830 now!

For the HDMI issue was thinking of just putting a multi input switcher on it.

Anyone else have any thoughts

john251282 said:
Thanks for help guys.

Do people reckon the updated version the 37pf9831 is worth waiting for or just grab the 9830 now!

Why not contact Philips customer service and ask for advice?:rolleyes:

john251282 said:
Thanks for help guys.

If you want a lower resolution , yes go for the 9831.
The 9830 may also be discontinued so if you wanted one , now is the time to get it.

From what I have heard CS for Philips don't have a clue anyway. Thats why I am on here trying to get some good unbiased advise.

Having looking through threads am thinking of waiting for sony 40x2000, or maybe philips 37pf9731. Thoughts?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom