1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at getting Nikon 50 f1.8 and Sigma 70-300 bla bla bla

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by cutes6, Jun 1, 2005.

1. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am looking to get these lenses to complement my Nikon D70 lense kit 18-70.

They seem to be the best bang for the buck unless anyone can give better ideas, I do like to go motor racing from time to time.

I have been advised the best price is a company called Microglobe who I believe are in London, is this the best place and has anyone had any dealings with them are they OK.

I would appreciate any advice going

thanks

2. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
  3. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,577
    I bought both my 50mm and 70-300 MK2 APO from Microglobe...Great price, next day delivery in both cases....

I'd be very careful with that auction on eBay....I've never been able to find that lens for less than £139, not even on import from HK...So to set the reserve that low, either the seller doesn't know the market and the buyer is lucky, or something dodgy is going on....I am off the school that thinks if the deal is too good to be true, it is not true...So think twice...

4. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I don't think there would be any problem whatsoever with the Sigma auction. Seller has good feedback and you're covered via Paypal anyhow.

5. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thank you both for your replies, I have put a bid in on that lense :eek: :eek: ,

What the heck it may come off although at that price I would expect to be out bid, we will see.

I need to sort something soon as I am off to the Festival of speed at Goodward on the 24th june, I have never been before so hoping to give the D70 a good work out,

6. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any experienced Ebayer knows which items sell for good dosh & doesn't bother with reserve. basically the lower you start the sell price, the more people become interested, ususally ending in a bidding war in last few mins :rolleyes:. Therefore prices until last few mins are not indicative of final sell price :(

Best way to check market is to click " completed items" on left side of search results. This will give a good indication of what prices to expect.

7. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You will love the 50mm - I have the F1.4 50mm and the quality is amazing - it shows the highly regarded 18-70 Nikkor up as a pretty average piece of glass (with its barrel distortion and vignetting).

I predict you'll end up using the 50mm a hell of a lot, not just for the optical quality but also for the lovely bright viewfinder image it gives you (plus the ability to easily throw the background out of focus).

Matt.

8. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,577
    I must admit that I am using the 50mm quite often for exactly the reasons that Matt is saying...The convenience a zoom has is easily overcome by stepping forwards or backwards....

Looks like I stand correct on my ebay opinion ;-)

9. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I'd be pretty upset if I bought the 50mm f1.4 and it wasn't better than an f3.5-4.5 zoom :D

10. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433