looking at buying lexus RX400h any advice

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by digitaldecks, Aug 14, 2013.

1. digitaldecks

digitaldecks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Hi All looking at a lexus RX400h from a lexus dealer.

looking to go back tomorrow with my 2 old mondeo's so should get a few grand off PX

anyway back to details of the rx.

they have it listed at 18k its a sept 07 plate with 49k on the clock.

will do the usual haggle etc.. but any ideas what realistic price i should pay at a dealer? any advice on buying an 07 with this millage. i know dealers always mark up but seems so much higher than private sales. cant take the risk with private sales.

also they have a jan 07 coming ing about a grand cheaper with under 38k on the clock. both are the cvt auto hybrid.

any advice or should i really walk away. only taking wife back tomorrow as its for her and see if its ok for her needs and the 2 kids.

yes i do want a motor like this we dont really do much millage and wife has always wanted something like this.

Also i keep hearing that lexus are way better in cost of maintaining compared to mercs/bmw also they are one of the most reliable.

any input will be helpful for tomorrow.

thanks all

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    Can't speak for the vehicles specifically, but there is no doubt Lexus is THE most reliable car brand. Period. I think the hybrid system, including the battery, has a fairly long warranty, that you should inherit the remainder of. And in any case, I gather battery failures are extremely rare even at longer life/higher mileage. Expensive fix if it does go out after warranty expiry, though.....

3. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,371
    It's actually Honda :)

4. djbsom

djbsom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +964
    Really?

5. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    It's a Honda hybrid system ? , thought it was Toyota .....

Check out PCThug on here , I am sure he has one or had one ....

6. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,371
  7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    I think he was challenging

8. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,676
    Yeah still got mine.

Its a 2006 ('55) model.

Has the one you are looking at got satnav? Make sure it has, then you also have the reversing camera too. If it has, then there are 2 types. One has a standard 6cd stereo (like mine) and the other has a far better one (think its called Mark Levison) that also has DVD in the rear headrests.

Mine had a recall for the hybrid system a few years ago. This was a free recall where they changed the whole system (and give me a tank of fuel and bottle of bubbly). Make sure yours is done if required.

You will get about 330 max out of a tank of fuel (about £70 to fill).

The electric side only works up to about 25mph and ONLY if you tickle the accelerator and only for around 1 mile. Still good enough for some journeys or to get me out of the town.

They are fantastic on the snow and feel very safe.

Not sure about the price/value, just check Autotrader to get an idea.

Problems wise, the ONLY one I have had is the CD player. Its a 6 disc multi changer and now comes up with 'error 4' and wont let me do anything, including ejecting the discs. This is an intermittent fault that did clear when I removed the battery leads, but soon came back after a few days/weeks. I only put one disc in now and its not a problem any more.

When it comes the time to get rid of this, I will buy another in a heartbeat.

[​IMG]

9. redaprilia

redaprilia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Probably a very good car , but personally instead of paying £18k for a 6 year old car with all the potential issues ( tyres , brakes & service issues on hand over ) I would lease or PCP a brand new one over a 3 year period and have the total security of a factory backed warranty -- probably would not have any problems from new anyway !

New via a pcp probably would not cost much more over 3 years ?

10. digitaldecks

digitaldecks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Hi all,

sorry been hectic kids ill etc..

anyway i did the deal with trading in my old cars and got it for £14.5k.

its the 57 plate, with 49k on the clock and mark levinson touch screen dash/ sat nav. only thing is it does not contain the lcd screens in headrests. im not bothered about this as kids don't need at the mo (3year old and 1 year old)

I 'm not a fan of PCP. There are good deals but with two toddlers the car will get some damage from prams etc. not good for PCP. also i had the budget for it.

having done the deal i pick up this Saturday and hand over mine
    insurance renews on 23rd of this month and was costing me just over £600 for both.

mondeo 1 road tax due end of month £250, MOT (possible additional costs)
    mondeo 2 road tax due end of next month £250

new insurance is £440 for both on same policy.
    wife is named driver. next year she will be policy holder.
    so we dont loose NCB. direct line named driver NCB is all bull. not recognized by any other insurer.

so in away i had to make the call or have some of the above expense and would be money down the drain.

its had the full service just done and FSH with last 2 owners. etc and comes with 1 year full warranty.

we only do about 3k or 4k miles a year. also from the research i did during the night and 50kmiles for lexus RX is not a lot given its reliability in general.

I could have got a bit cheaper going to a dealership a bit further away from Twickenham etc but dealership is 10 mins from my home if wife needs to drop.

its not a bad deal and wife's happy and its what she wanted.
    As we couldn't get to the dealer to test drive he came to us. no pushy sales nothing. drove like a dream.

very impressed with Lexus all the way. compared to BMW/MB/Jag dealerships i went to

11. redaprilia

redaprilia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Sounds all good , particularly with 1 year warranty and good value insurance quote . Surely you are one car down now ? what are you going to use while mrs is out in car ?

12. digitaldecks

digitaldecks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    we had two cars for many years.
    i live 10 mins walk to my local train station for my daily city commute. weekends we are all together.

the older 04 mondeo was only used to pick up a pizza on Fridays or take rubbish to the recycle plant. honestly it was sitting doing nothing.

the car has really become a tool for us.
    if we do need another ill just go out and buy of a main dealership car lot like i did with all my cars.

when misses is out she usually has the kids.
    I work silly hours a week and so weekends i don't go out unless i need to or doing usual family driving.
    to add been on maternity for 15months now.

when wife goes back to work, shes looking for something a bit local as just resigned from the city.
    she may use it a bit more, just dont know at the mo.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  13. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,676
    Good buy.
    Let me know how you get on with it.
    I find my local Lexus dealing VERY good.
    Every time I take it in they valet it for free, no matter what its in for.
    It just makes you feel that little bit more special and appreciated.

14. digitaldecks

digitaldecks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    we wanted it this weekend but sitting out now till next Saturday so i can do the once over before signing handover docs.

basically the car will be ready Wednesday, I just cant get home in time and cant take day off as just come back from 3 weeks off.

the delay was due to lexus sending off the alloys to be re-furbed/cleaned which is not done on site.
    is this normal? never heard of a used car to have this done. the wheels looked ok when I saw the car. or have i missed something?

15. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +784
    I wish you luck with it, its a beauty.

There's a fair chance you will not have much bother with a Lexus, they are very well built. They are the upmarket brand of Toyota. Anyone I know who has had one has never had any bother with them.

16. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,676
    The alloys are rubbish if I am honest.
    Mine are the original ones and have bubbled and flaked.
    Apparently Lexus will replace them for free, but not sure if they will on mine due to the age.

As most know I am a traffic cop and have been for 6 years. I don't ever recall going to a Lexus that has broken down. I dare say they have, but I have never been to one.

17. digitaldecks

digitaldecks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Thanks for the heads up regards the alloys. I wasn't really too fussed as they looked fine so wasn't sure why they refurbish them. extra cost to them i suppose.

look forward to getting behind the wheel. I'm more of relaxed driver since I had kids and wanted more comfort hence going lexus.

will keep for a few years as the kids grow up. its amazing that everytime i cleaned out the car within a week the back was full of rubbish.
    every time my 3 year old leaves the house she has take some [email protected] with here and it stays in the car.

Any of you used the seat protectors like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00882V09W/ref=gno_cart_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

many have said they are the best, some said a few issues with the width etc.
    just want to get them in before i put the recaro booster and maxi cosi baby seats in.