Looking at buying a V8, but what....?

Deleted member 134693

Reaction score
Hello.

I've been wanting a V8 (for the sound) for a while now but been putting it off as I know its not really practical and owned a mk5 Golf R32 a few years ago but sold it after 12 months as I was fed up for 18MPG and the silly tax.

I'm a little better off financially now and the wife has a new BMW so the car will only be for me. Unfortunately I can't afford to run 2 cars so this will be my main car.

I don't do a huge amount of miles - 6 - 8k per year and currently driving a new shape fiesta which is £30 a year to tax and gets around 35mpg!

Anyway....Max budget £10k, needs to be something I can use everyday and be reliable (I know nothings a guarantee) V8 petrol, probably an auto. RHD.

Dream would be a B7 RS4 but they still seem to fetch crazy money! I had the chance to buy a lovely one four years ago for £22k and wish I had as they still seem to fetch that price now! :facepalm::facepalm:

TVR - too many horror stories.
AMG Merc - too pricey for my budget.
Audi RS4 - As above.

Audi S4 V8 ??
BMW 6 series ??

I've probably already talked myself out of it :confused: but any suggestions...?

M3 V8 - no idea if those are in budget yet
Some sort of Jaguar

M3 V8 - no idea if those are in budget yet
Some sort of Jaguar

M3 V8 would be lovely but nothing close for £10k :(

Have considered one of the original XKR's, forgot to put that on here, still prefer the original one although would have to be the revised 4.2 V8 as opposed to the older 4.0 one. :thumbsup:

XFR popped in to my head but still way over budget :(

An Lexus LS460 - should at least be reliable, or a Phaeton with a V8?

It won't open the link for me mate.

I'm wanting to stick to £10k as close as possible, however I'd rather stretch and spend £11k on something thats been well looked after rather than spend £10k on a knacker and then having to spend £2k getting it fixed 6 months down the line, if that makes sense!

Just trawling autotrader and quite a few big mercs cropping up SL500's and CLS500's!

Annoying about the links!
Do you have any limitations on mileage or age?

Edited the link in post 6 - let me know if that works and I'll do the rest.

needs to be something I can use everyday

If you're considering a V8 then I would say this comment should be the most important in your decision making process. I ran an S4 ( V8 ) cabriolet for 4 years in all weathers. Great car, great noise, 21 mpg and I'm not a slouch. It was 5 years old when I sold it and the only problem was a faulty fuel pump.

I replaced it with an S5 ( V6 ) cabriolet thinking my fuel consumption would improve. It did, to 22 mpg! Again a great car but the noise of the supercharged V6 was nowhere near as good, though pickup from low revs was better as was performance in general. Again totally reliable.

4 years later I retired and no longer needed all weather performance. I bought one of the last XK Dynamic R's built to return to a V8. Stupendous performance, incredible noise with the performance exhaust and still 21 mpg, but it's quite a handful at this time of year! You have to remember that a twitch of your right big toe is all that is required. There are days when I am glad I do have a second car available, a 4x4 which shrugs off any bad weather. I'd have to go to work in brown trousers throughout the winter in the Jag.

My advice would be buy a V8, but 4 wheel drive is essential for everyday use.
Go for it, life's too short.

I went for a BMW 550i Touring. Way cheaper than equivalent E class Mercs of similar vintage, much more comfortable than the Audis, quiet and refined when cruising but makes a lovely noise (especially with the windows down) wide open.

Jag XKR?

15 years old now but lovely looking cars.

Monaro pulled up next to me and my mate at a petrol station,the other night in Stoke. Sounded mighty.

Even when it left, we could still hear it for a good minute :D

Last edited:
I'm looking at a cheap v8 as well. I'm going to get a 55 amg of some description. Not sure what body at the moment but they all use the same engine. With £10k you could get a supercharged one.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Monaro pulled up next to me and my mate at a petrol station,the other night in Stoke. Sounded mighty.

Even when it left, we could still hear it for a good minute :D

I was behind one a while back, i could keep up until about 90, then it started to pull away from me. Didn't half growl!

I think the Mondeo is a great shout, like a yank muscle car, the mighty engine is connected to more everyday stuff so would/should be cheaper to run.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom