Looking at a new monitor

Martin O

Standard Member
Hello and happy? new year,

I've had a look through old threads, but can't see the answer I need, so...
I'm looking at getting a new monitor to use with my old PC and Dell U2311H (1920x1080)
I'm running an Intel Core i5-4670K at 3.4GHz with 8GB ram, Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit system, no separate graphics card.
Intel state the i5 will run maximum resolution (DP) (Display Port?) at 3840x2160 @60 Hz
I'm looking at the LG UltraGear 27UL500-W 4K Ultra HD 27” IPS monitor which is 3840 x 2160
and has HDMI and Display Port in.
I don't do gaming, it's mainly for photo editing and home working, nothing too demanding.
When home working I use a Surface Pro NBX241FO running at 2736x1824, which I presume will run straight into the Display Port on the LG with no problem.
The question is, can my PC run these 2 screens together or what do I need to be able to do so? Thanks,

Martin

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Yes, DP is DisplayPort.

Maximum resolution for integrated graphics can also be limited by motherboard implementation so check system/motherboard specs as well.

That'll also determine which ports are available. The i5-4670k may be capable of running a DisplayPort output but Intel did not require that system builders using it provide a DisplayPort socket.

Provided the system has two sockets then running two screens is unlikely to be an issue. One of them will need to be a DisplayPort socket to run a high resolution screen like the UHD one, an HDMI port of that era wouldn't do more than 2560x1600 at 60hz.

Martin O

Standard Member
That sounds OK, my PC can run the new screen through HDMI at the best resolution it can, it doesn't have DP, that will come with a future upgrade of my PC.
The Surface Pro can run through the DP at it's best quality.
I just didn't want to buy a future proof monitor to find I can't use it now because the PC wouldn't run it at all.
Thanks,

Martin

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom