1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at a car tomorrow....

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by mcfarfs, Aug 29, 2005.

1. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It is a 1999 S reg Renault Clio, 1.2.

Looks quite smart from the picture.

So if I decide I want to buy it, how do I put a deposit on it? Do I give him (the seller) £200 or so and he writes me a receipt, until I can pay him in full and collect it? If I do that and he still sells it then what comeback do I have?

The asking price is £1995, how much do you think I should try and haggle him down to?

It has a low mileage as well :smashin: .

Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You ought to cover up the reg and just call it S. What's the mileage to the nearest 10000 and where how you find the seller?

It looks in reasonable shape, have you been inside and tried the gear change? Ask the seller to take you for a short ride if you can to get a feel for how it starts and rides along with any strange sounds.

If all is OK then 2G doesn't seem too bad but get an idea of insurance costs before you commit and make sure you get everything in writing - it protects both of you. :)

3. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Reg covered up :) . Why is it you have to do that though? I do notice a lot of the cars on Ebay have the number plate scribbled out.

The mileage is around 40K. I found the ad in autotrader.

I'm going to see it later on this evening, and whilst I can't drive it, not unless he has a private road or a long drive, I will get my mum to have a test drive.

Exciting stuff!

4. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Just kick the tyres - if they feel ok your on to a winner.

5. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Great advice! ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It's nice to have a bit of privacy sometimes although obviously it's not essential as everyone can see the plates on the road anyway. :)

7. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    You could get a AA test (or similar) which would give an indication of any serious problems or if you know a mechanic.....

I would also do a HPI check which is around £20. This will let you know if you will really become the lawful owner of the car and if it has had a secret history. If the car is owned by a finance company it could legally be their property and you may be asked for more money to 'buy your own car' or lose everything you have paid.

8. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I had a look at it. Unfortunately I'm not going to get it.

It is a VERY basic model, no electric windows, no central locking, hasn't even got power steering. All stuff I should have asked about on the phone really.

Oh well!

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You should definitely find out that sort of thing before you head out, I think you'll be lucky to find a car of that ilk with electric windows and power steering isn't really a necessity in a car of that size - presumably you're a big strong lad who can use the exercise. ;) :laugh:

Central locking, however, is the best thing since sliced bread.

You live and you learn, I'm lucky as my first car has all of those things.. :)

10. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Lol exactly, which is another problem - the Clio is such a ridiculously small car! And being 6 " 1, I was not comfortable in there :rotfl: . It was very nice, but just not for me.

11. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    'old geezer mode on'

Boys, power steering and leccy windows are not really important on your first car. You'll learn more about they way a car handles with unassisted steering and parking is a doddle with tiny wheels. Electric windows and central locking are notorious week spots on second hand cars and can cost a fortune to fix.

As for the size thing, I'm the same hight as you and had a 106 pug as a loan car for a while and it was a hoot. I fitted ok and found it great fun to whiz about in, as long as the little engines are kept in the right rev range they are fine.

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You're so boring sometimes Mylo. ;) :laugh:

You're right of course but at my age I'm allowed to demand some luxuries although I still drive my Mums N-reg 106 which doesn't have power steering or electric windows or even a big engine and is a really fun car to drive. I don't like the newer models so much - the gearbox seems clunky in comparison but we might have just gotten lucky. There's certainly plenty of room above the head and more height in the back than in my car. Even that needs the A/C recharging though. :(

But at least it has a bigger engine and a CD player. :)

13. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    A fun option is a pug 306 Dturbo, group 6 as far as I know. Only 90Bhp but enough torque to scare off bigger rivals. Mine has AC, power steering, leccy windows and nice sporty seats. Not too pricey these days either.

Flipping horrible to sleep in though :laugh:

14. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I'm 6'3" and I manage in a Clio. Mind you, nobody's going to be sitting behind me. The seat moves up and down as well as backwards and forwards.

15. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I got a honda civic primarily because of my height. I'm 6'4" and my head still scrapes the roof in that pretty humungous cabin! :(

16. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yeh its ok, but if I had any passengers behind me then either they wouldn't fit, or I wouldn't!

Thats were the problem is, the seat does go far enough back but at the expense of ANY leg room for rear seat passengers.

17. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    That's just the nature of small cars though - don't forget that sports cars often dispense with rear seats and boot space entirely.

The lack of space is easily made up for by superb vision and control which is very useful for a beginner. As much as I like my Vectra after 5 years driving it's hardly the right vehicle to be learning the ropes in. Loads of space but comparatively poor visibility and a disastrous turning circle.

I know it's all obvious really but Mylo's right that you shouldn't get ahead of yourself at this stage. :)