Looking at 40-43 inch tvs

md1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

There are so many options out there its hard to know what to go for especially with some great offers out there right now.

I've had my head turned by Hisense recently mainly the 43n5700 at about £380 it sounds great value for money.

Then LG have the 43UJ630v down at £370 and is rated well.

I've always liked Phillips and they have the 43PUS6262 at £410

Also Toshiba 43U6763DB at £400

These are all budget end of the 4k scale i know so im not expecting it to be amazing but value for money. I would be upgrading from a 37D6530 Samsung so i should notice a difference. The modern equivalent of the Samsung would be the 40MU6400 but they are £500.

Im finding it difficult to find out things about these tv's like native hz even on the manufacturers web site which i know can make a difference. Or if they are IPS or not. I sit in front so i dont need IPS.

Which would you go for?

Ah. I think they are all 60hz. Shame because Phillips last year produced a 120hz screen in the 6000 range. 6561 i think. Yeah 45 inch would be pushing it. The mrs wouldnt even want 43 really. Lol

I would be upgrading from a 37D6530 Samsung so i should notice a difference. The modern equivalent of the Samsung would be the 40MU6400 but they are £500.

Why do you want to 'upgrade' to a worse model in a similar size?

My current tv was made in 2011 i think. Pretty sure the mu6400 made in 2017 should be better?

You will be surprised how little is gained by going for a 2017 budget model from a 2011 model for less money.

Your TV when reviewed was almost £800 yet you plan on getting a TV now for less than £500 at a larger size and expect it to be better? It will be marginal and highly dependant on source. Of course a new TV will look better with UHD content but with SD content? Probably not.

Best TVs at 40" if you don't need viewing angles are the 40MU6400 Samsung and the 40EX700 Panasonic.

You will be surprised how little is gained by going for a 2017 budget model from a 2011 model for less money.

Your TV when reviewed was almost £800 yet you plan on getting a TV now for less than £500 at a larger size and expect it to be better? It will be marginal and highly dependant on source. Of course a new TV will look better with UHD content but with SD content? Probably not.

Best TVs at 40" if you don't need viewing angles are the 40MU6400 Samsung and the 40EX700 Panasonic.

Which would you go for out of those 2 models?

400 is very good for the mu6400.

If i could just choose between the two i would go for the ex700. It has local dimming where the 6400 doesnt. Plus i think it does hdr10 better.

Unfortunately price plays a big part for me right now. So i would probably sway toward the 6400 as its about 150 cheaper with that discount.

You will be surprised how little is gained by going for a 2017 budget model from a 2011 for less money

That does surprise me. I thought things would have moved on more even in the 1080p part of the tv. I bought my 37D6530 for about 650. I thought the 6400 being the equivalent should be quite a bit better even at 1080p. While i believe you its just strange when you see reviews year in year out saying these 6 series tvs are an improvement on last years yet really they aren't much better over the course of 6 years apart from the recent edition of 4k. I'd have hoped black levels and motion would have improved a fair bit in that time even for a mid range LED/LCD

400 is very good for the mu6400.

If i could just choose between the two i would go for the ex700. It has local dimming where the 6400 doesnt. Plus i think it does hdr10 better.

Unfortunately price plays a big part for me right now. So i would probably sway toward the 6400 as its about 150 cheaper with that discount.

Just found out Panasonic are doing a promotion till the 23rd November, you get an extra 4yrs warranty for free.

I’ve just requested a price match with John Lewis, Currys are selling at £521 with 10% off with code. I can save 5% on that using work scheme

Local dimming is so bad on budget models that in most cases its best switching it off. It shouldn't be a consideration at this price.

I thought the 6400 being the equivalent should be quite a bit better even at 1080p
It isn't equivalent. Even from year to year models that appear to have the same model numbers are not equal. Samsung for example tried to make this years MU7000 seem the new equivalent to last years KS7000 when last years model was a far, far better TV.

The key thing is to remember these TVs are not going to polish existing content, they won't make stuff look better unless it is a newer source. The real gains are made with newer content on them. Having an UHD model is also a drawback when it comes to anything that isn't HD also, so in many respects its two steps forward, one back.

See: UHD vs FHD

I suppose that is where the problem is for me. I dont want/need a 55 inch tv as where i sit fairly close to the tv it would look ridiculous. In the size im looking at "budget" options are my only real choice. I remember when you could get top end models at 37 and 42 inch. Now its 50 inch plus. Its a shame for us who dont want super size screens. I would love an OLED but they will never go below 55 inch it seems. I remember the days when pioneer produced a one off 37 inch plasma. Wish someone would do similar with Oled.

It isn't equivalent. Even from year to year models that appear to have the same model numbers are not equal. Samsung for example tried to make this years MU7000 seem the new equivalent to last years KS7000 when last years model was a far, far better TV.

See: UHD vs FHD

This leaves me wondering where do i really need to go to see any real difference? What models are equivalent or slightly better now than my old 37D6530? Would i really have to step up to 49-50 inch to do it? Would I be better off looking at high end 42 inch tv's from a few years ago instead on the second hand market?

Not only that but the 40" version of your TV was almost £800 new. Spending £800 now would almost land you a mid range 55" TV.

What is it that you are unhappy with regarding your current TV? Why upgrade at all? Having UHD on a 40"/43" TV is largely pointless anyway.

I would be hesitant to upgrade unless you absolutely have too. The real benefit to newer models at this size will be with new content and for that you need to view very close.

For anything else, there isn't going to be much of an improvement and in the case of standard definition (non-HD) TV channels UHD models scaling is going to be worse...especially when you own a TV that has such good upscaling of standard definition sources.

Even the Philips 43PUS6501 they produced last year with a 120hz panel is a poor TV overall compared to your current one. It uses an IPS panel so will have worse blacks than your current TV.

You mentioned you don't want a larger size, is this because the TV won't fit or is it just a preference? I know people who perhaps were hesitant to upgrade in size because they felt it would be too much but ended up doing so, just so they would have a TV of good quality and they ended up not regretting it.

Certainly there are models from 2014 and 2015 where smaller screen sizes were still decent in quality like the Samsung H6400 and J6300 but those were the last of the good ones. The push to UHD and keeping prices low has meant for a plethora of lower quality panels at lower sizes compared to then.

To be honest i didnt realise my tv was meant to be that good. I just bought what was the best 37 inch tv at the time as my mrs said nothing bigger was to be bought. Lol. If it was up to me i would have bought a 2010 40PFL9705H as it had a direct led backlight and was meant to have local dimming and be better for motion and blacks at the time. I think that was the tv i was wanting. Its been a long time. Those are the two things I'd like to improve mainly in a new tv.

The days of FALD are coming to an end, even the 49" Sony XE9005 which is a FALD TV has quite limited local dimming. Its edge lit brother the XE9305 at 55" actually does a better job despite being edge lit.

Sony, Panasonic and Samsung all made high end FALD models last year and didn't again in 2017.

I'd say we are perhaps over-complicating things, the best thing you can do to be sure is to demo some of the new TVs yourself and see what you think yourself. Be sure to demo with realistic content, ideally the same content you will use yourself. I think you will be surprised how well your TV shapes up compared, but that's not for me to judge.

Fair enough its sounding like i should stick with what I have until it dies or I move somewhere that a bigger screen is necessary. I thought they did away with FALD quite a long time ago as it was considered too expensive and went with edge lit. I did see that they brought it back in. I thought that it must be because they had nothing else they could introduce or re-introduce in this case to improve led/lcd or found a way of producing them cheaper than before. Really surprised that the edge version does a better job on that Sony. Never in a million years did i think that would be the case.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom