1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at 2nd hand CRT - what should I check?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cj, Oct 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I'm going to look at a 2nd hand BD808s tomorrow that has been advertised as "absolutely mint" with very low hours - what are the main problems I need to look for before I part with my hard earned?

Cheers,

Colin

2. arbey

arbey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you should check the tubes without the lenses on them! Look for burned in images, overall coloured surface. You should check the inside if all cards and boards are from the same type and branch (in case you didn't know the last owner). You can ask to start the pj and watch the scanled's to go on. check it running for smoke or distortion...you can start with this.

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The Power supply and focus boards are the weakest area. Projectors that have stood for a long time often get EHT (high Voltage) problems. Splitter and Quadrupler.

Why is it a low hour unit? Very rarely were these bought for anything other than comercial use.
    They were also quite popular with rental companies who give them a very hard time but only for short periods. The rest of the time the PJ sits idle in a cold wharehouse with all the capacitors discharging. Very few retal machines have the Iris fitted (saved £700) Look around the lens toe in adjusters to see if they are badly worn. (idicates lots of adjustments.) I no longer take in ex hire machines other than for spares due to the high failure rate. Too many so called experts have had their fingers inside. they will tend to come in a flight case. Expect a projector to have done about 2-3000 hrs per year of life. That will be a well used well charged projector. MTBF for Barcos is about 20-30000 hrs. In my experience after about three years the run time on a projector becomes irelevant.

Blue tube will tend to go first then the green very rare for the red to need replacing. I would look at the tube surface with the lenses off they are held with x4 8mm nuts.

Check the warrety it comes with too some of those boards are over £1000 to replace.

I take it I'm out of favour now.

4. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Thanks guys.

Lol Roland - no not out of favour - just this was a projector that sounded too good not to look at. I like to look at all alternatives :)It has less than 100 hours on, and is apparently a repossession. No sign of wear anywhere - it looks brand new.

5. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've found this thread very helpful already...What does the Iris look like? I'm going to see a very reasonably priced 1750 hrs BG801S tomorrow, Nathan showed me how to check the tubes on his 1208 but all this extra help is most useful.

Cheers,

Mark.

6. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you should check if the original tubes (original manufacturer) are inside.
    if not you might be ripped off. believe me this is important because otherwise you'll very probably lose some pic quality

cheers

7. KarlRobinson

KarlRobinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought Barcos came out of the factory with 105hrs from new, for testing purposes.

8. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Yeah I've since found this out... :(

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think I know where you are going here but I wouldn't hold this a rule.
    Untill very recently the only replacement was from the manufactuer any how. A company in the states has now started reworking the tubes and the quality is improving all the time. To the point where they are now very close to the sharpness of the original. This process will keep CRT's going long after the tube manufactueres pull the plug (pun intended).
    The fact you can't see these sharpness differences on screen makes it imiterial.
    The serial number of the tubes are only on sticky lables and easily transferable.
    Above all buy it from some one you know you can trust.

10. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    This is largely true. All Barco projectors go through a stress test for a minimum of 100 hrs. The clock starts running when all the boards come together as a unit. If you come across any thing other than a brand new unit with this sort of run time tread very carefully. The only other way of getting the run time down is to replace either part or all of the contoller board. There are ways to tell if this has been done.
    Sony zeroed their counters when they leave the production line.

11. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I simply saw one Barco Cine6 with non-original tubes and it was no good!

This is always Rule No 1

12. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The Cine 6 tubes are only availabe from BArco.
    I suspect you are looking at bad set up rather than bad tubes. Any old fool can put the tubes back in, getting them to look like the original is another story.
    Xray eyes and patience of a saint help

13. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if that is true than he just gave me an excuse for poor picture. Whatever, I stay with my SIM2 HT
    Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.