1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking After New Lamps

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by thedoc, Dec 26, 2004.

1. thedoc

thedoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently had a lamp change, it seems the old one was causing my flickering problems. Got the projector mounted up and ran it yesterday and the picture seems more "cinematic" and is now completely flicker-free...

I then got out DVE (PAL) and set up the projector to suit my DVD source. I had to wind the brightness up 7 points (now 67) and contrast up by 3 points (now 47) to give perfect results on the ramped pluge used for setting DLP devices up. Colour and tint were spot on once again and didn't need alteration.

Question is :

Is there any recommendation for "running in" new lamps in my Domino 30, and will winding up the brightness & contrast a little (which improves the picture quality - and has brought out some more shadow detail) have any detrimental effect on the new lamp in any way ?

Daft question to ask but it just dawned on me now after making those minor adjustments.

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    IAN

Don't worry about the settings of contrast brightness etc affecting your new lamp.
    Lamps will last longer if not turned on and off too much.

I leave the Sim2 projectors on if I know I am coming back an hour or two later for a demonstration.

Jeff :rtfm:

3. thedoc

thedoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jeff,

I presume there is no "recommended" running in procedure for new lamps then, can't find anything when checking the manual.

We tend to watch a movie so the projector is on for a couple of hours then off, and like you say if I am taking a break and coming back within an hour I tend to leave the projector on.

Probably not much else I can really do then I guess... just trying to minimise "strain" on the bulb in case it had played a part in my last one playing up.

P.S Many thanks to SIM2 UK if Alan is reading this for an excellent support service. They fully examined the projector and persevered when the flickering fault wasn't initially reproducible in their workshop - until eventually they found the cause of the problem. I suspect many other manufacturors would not have spent quite so much time trying to reproduce the problem and sent the device back as "not faulty"... :smashin: So in summary a first class support service with first class communication to the customer - outstanding.