Look Out Intel ! AMD Ryzen has arrived!

Winky

Established Member
Reaction score
The new AMD Ryzen cpu's look very promising. It's been awhile since Intel has had serious competition.

The new chips look to be a favorable replacement for the Intel i7, especially in high performance applications.. They are also less expensive.

I'm a die hard Intel fan who must admit they now have a serious challenge on their hands.

The AMD Zen and Ryzen 7 Review: A Deep Dive on 1800X, 1700X and 1700

They're about as expected. Not quite as good as Intel's CPUs, but competitive enough to be serious options. And very attractive right now given the much lower prices.

Although there seems to be some review inconsistency around suggesting some of the early motherboards may have some quirks. I've seen fingers pointed at Asus but I don't know how valid that is.

From the few articles I've read on the subject, from sources like PC mag. It would appear a performance gap isn't there in some tests. In some cases the difference is almost not discernible.
In some cases Ryzen pulls ahead or stays even. This all depends on the target use of a computer as to which tests will be the most relevant.

For the budget gamer looking to get high performance, this is a no brainer IMO. My Intel 5820K 6 core build overclocked might struggle to keep up with the top Ryzen.

I hadn't heard about the MOBO problems. If I were looking at Ryzen I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig. Let it settle awhile and then see which MOBO rises to the top.

I don't believe the gap has ever been this close.

Heat issues have been more prevalent on higher ended AMD .vs Intel. Intel always ran a bit cooler. Not sure of Ryzen. I hope AMD finally made a smaller cpu nano conductor wire to compete in that arena.

From the few articles I've read on the subject, from sources like PC mag. It would appear a performance gap isn't there in some tests. In some cases the difference is almost not discernible.
In some cases Ryzen pulls ahead or stays even. This all depends on the target use of a computer as to which tests will be the most relevant.

For the budget gamer looking to get high performance, this is a no brainer IMO. My Intel 5820K 6 core build overclocked might struggle to keep up with the top Ryzen.

I hadn't heard about the MOBO problems. If I were looking at Ryzen I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig. Let it settle awhile and then see which MOBO rises to the top.

I don't believe the gap has ever been this close.

Heat issues have been more prevalent on higher ended AMD .vs Intel. Intel always ran a bit cooler. Not sure of Ryzen. I hope AMD finally made a smaller cpu nano conductor wire to compete in that arena.
It's far cooler than intel now, my Ryzen 1700 is overclocked to 3.9ghz 1.35v and doesn't break 60c prime95, my previous 6700k was under 1.25 I was hitting almost 70c

Whatever it is/does,. any competition means we all get our chosen CPU a little bit cheaper..... Cheers to AMD.

Congrats on getting the Ryzen up and running.

I know an aquaintance who builds specialty digital audio recording computers. His tests seem to indicate there is a slight advantage to Intel for that application. He ran some very deep testing on a Ryzen build. You need lots of open lanes on a recording computer that might also be editing video.

A DAW isn't the kind of build you run into every day though. I suspect for most things it would be similar and less expensive.

There's an interesting article in this month's PC gamer. Tests show that intel i3, 5,7 are all faster than than rzyen cpu. The i7 7700 k isn't any faster than the i5 7600k. For gaming the i7 is a waste of money. For heavy duty multi threaded non gaming tasks it's a different story.
These days for gaming the cpu is getting increasingly marginalised and its the gpu that is of paramount importance. Obviously it's important to avoid bottlenecks.
So the best gaming cpu is still the i5 7600k or 6600 kit. The former is less than 5%faster than the latter. In practice the performance is visibily identical.
Forget amd at present for gaming. Stick with the i5 and get a powerful gpu.
Most owners of PC have them for games anyway.

I agree the built in graphics in i5 gives it an advantage, yet one might also opt for an i7 and select a more powerful graphics card. I used a 2011.3 mobo and haven't felt bad about that choice. I liked selecting my own cards. Both are good choices depending on your wants/needs for gaming.

You could say the Lamborgini beat the Corvette ZR by .006 of a second. That still doesn't mean the Corvette isn't a wonderful car. When one says something is faster, how much faster? How much does it matter? Will make a huge difference in performance? In most cases the difference isn't night and day. So even though I'm an intel guy I might still recommend Ryzen to someone who is on a budget and doesn't want to fork over the money for intel. I would choose my mobo carefully though. There were early mobo issues.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom