Question Look for HD projector recommendations

5HAM

Novice Member
Hi, i was hoping somebody would be able to recommend some hd projectors. I have a maximum throw distance of 118"(around 3m) due to a roof hatch stopping me going any further. I'm looking for a 120" screen.
I have a budget of around 2k for the projector, screen and mount.
Additionally is anyone able to recommend a fixed screen?

Last edited:

Sam Ash

That is a decent budget and you can put together a nice system. Some important points:-

1. Best to have a dedicated room that can be darkened.
2. Fixed screens are very effective and reasonably priced. For a price advantage, have a look at these guys: Euroscreen® Frame Vision Light They manufacture screens in Europe and so are better priced. Go for the Frame Vision Light with the Vel-Tex option on the frame (A nice dark black velvet). This is important as you will need to bleed the image slightly onto the frame in order to completely fill the screen and the velvet absorbs the light so that it is not obvious or reflective.
4. Go for a screen aspect ration of 16:9 - 120" diagonal.
5. Go for the FlexWhite material that has a gain of 1.0 - FlexWhite, Euroscreen® Flexible material for fixed and Tab Tension screens.
6. As far as the projector goes, go for the Vivitek H1188. This is a reasonably priced but very nice 1080P projector that throws a nice sharp and vivid image with nice colours. Get a demo before you make the move for your own satisfaction.
7. For sound, you could start off with a 2.1 system and then work your way up to 5.1 or 7.1 system in the future depending on your room size.

Hope that helps.

5HAM

Novice Member
That is a decent budget and you can put together a nice system. Some important points:-

1. Best to have a dedicated room that can be darkened.
2. Fixed screens are very effective and reasonably priced. For a price advantage, have a look at these guys: Euroscreen® Frame Vision Light They manufacture screens in Europe and so are better priced. Go for the Frame Vision Light with the Vel-Tex option on the frame (A nice dark black velvet). This is important as you will need to bleed the image slightly onto the frame in order to completely fill the screen and the velvet absorbs the light so that it is not obvious or reflective.
4. Go for a screen aspect ration of 16:9 - 120" diagonal.
5. Go for the FlexWhite material that has a gain of 1.0 - FlexWhite, Euroscreen® Flexible material for fixed and Tab Tension screens.
6. As far as the projector goes, go for the Vivitek H1188. This is a reasonably priced but very nice 1080P projector that throws a nice sharp and vivid image with nice colours. Get a demo before you make the move for your own satisfaction.
7. For sound, you could start off with a 2.1 system and then work your way up to 5.1 or 7.1 system in the future depending on your room size.

Hope that helps.

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your comments. The projector will be going in dedicated room that already has a 5.1 surround sound setup.

For the projector screen i came across this. Will this screen effect picture quality? I've been looking at a few different projectors such as the VPL-HW45ES or EPSON EHTW6800 just not sure if i'd be able to get a 120" screen from 3m away?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom