1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Look before you buy.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by UselessPratt, May 23, 2003.

1. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Choosing a new DVD player recently, I decided to add DVD-A on to the list of requirements. I have to say that it was largely because it was "might as well" rather than because I actually wanted it. With the player about to arrive, I thought it would be good to buy a DVD-A to check out the new format. Yee God's what a waste of time that was! What a Totally disappointing list of titles! For a moment I thought I should have got SACD, but checking them out, they are almost as bad. Yeah, I know that everyones choices will be different, but I can honestly say that there isn't a single DVD-A title I would buy. To my mind, it's no wonder these formats are not taking off at all. Half decent material might help.........actually I am not so sure - the standard CD offers most folks all they need.

( Or perhaps I am looking in the wrong place?)

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Out of interest ... where were you looking for DVD-A disks ... www.vivante.co.uk have a good selection - though the prices arn't very good, and www.towerrecords.co.uk also have a good selection.

Vikki

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only DVD Audio I would consider is The Corrs In Blue concert- even then the master was not recorded in high quality anyway (I've read that the Dolby Digital 5.1 version sounds pratically the same)

Then you've got the problem with poor bass management with DVD players. At least with DD 5.1 my MC-1 can perform it's own BM.

4. UselessPratt

UselessPratt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Try www.dvd4music.com (a UK company) with IIRC a very wide selection and pretty good pricing, comparable with premium CDs.

Nathan - the Arcam DV89/27A DVD-Audio/video players both have pretty comprehensive bass managers, covering stereo and multichannel, CD, DD, DTS and DVD-Audio sources. It includes level management, speaker delay management and global user selectable crossover frequencies from 50 - 150Hz.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)