1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Look at this video, help me diagnose this problem?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Brian Kendig, May 31, 2005.

1. Brian Kendig

Brian Kendig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could use help figuring out a weird problem with my home theater setup that's been bothering me for a long time.

[​IMG]

First, go watch this. (Give it a minute or two to load.) I couldn't figure out how to describe the problem well, so I pointed my camcorder at my screen and recorded it happening. That video contains two short clips from the beginning of Star Wars - note the weird downwards frame offset and bands at the top of the frame whenever there's a bright flash onscreen - followed by some footage of my Mac displaying alternating black/white frames full-screen and watching the projector freak out.

The projector is a Seleco SIM2 HT200DM that was installed three and a half years ago. The problem's been happening ever since day one. (I've asked for help on this forum before, but there weren't any conclusive ideas, and that was before I thought to take video of the problem.) There are two inputs to the projector, both long cables running through the wall (custom-made by the installer) to connect to the A/V equipment on the other side of the room: an S-Video connection to my receiver through which my TiVo and VCR are connected, and component connections to my PlayStation 2 which I use as my DVD player. No matter which input I use, I get this unstableness whenever there's a sudden very bright frame in the video.

I tried connecting my Mac directly to the projector via a short (6-foot) S-Video cable, and that did away with the unstableness; the same test video was rock-solid, which would seem to indicate there's something wrong with the cable in the wall. But what could be wrong? Is there a limit to how long an S-Video cable can be? Would a signal amplifier help? If I run a new cable, will I have the same problem?

Then I tried connecting my PS2 directly to the projector via the Sony component video cable, and I played the Star Wars DVD. The picture was still unstable whenever there was a bright flash! Why would this be happening? Maybe a dedicated DVD player wouldn't exhibit the problem, or maybe it still would?

I sent this projector in for repairs earlier this year (when the power supply died) and I mentioned this specific problem. The company told me there's nothing wrong with the unit that could cause this problem.

I guess what I need to know most is, what are those white bands at the top of the unstable image, which appear only for a frame or two? Is that part of the NTSC header? What could confuse a projector into showing part of the NTSC header? I'm at a loss to figure out what exactly is wrong and how to avoid it.

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I don't know what it is. I've downloaded your movie and it looks nasty.

I'd send the vid to the manufacturer and state your case.

Something is def amiss with your product.

3. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    I think your prob is cables/autoswitcher mate.

Believe it or not I get this problem on my Tosh 29" CRT.
    DVD with 21pin scart directly to AV1 (RGB) picture is perfect
    But if I put a 5 to 1 RGB autoswitching scart adaptor inbetween the screen will flicker during light flashes like on yours, I will try and take a video tonight when im at home