1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

look at this: dvdxcopy

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by crawler, Jan 4, 2003.

1. crawler

crawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Every backup copy you make with DVDXCOPY is EXACTLY like the original. Nothing is compressed or left off the disc. even the 5.1 sound track is like the original

All the software you need to BACKUP, COPY & RESTORE your own DVD Movies is included in DVDXCOPY ! Within minutes, using our easy One-Click technology, you can COPY and BURN your own DVD Movies using nothing more than our software, a DVD-ROM and any DVD Burner including DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R or DVD+RW.

Now you can backup your favorite DVD movies with nothing more than a DVD burner and your home computer with DVDXCOPY software. There's no need to invest hundreds of dollars in replacing lost or damaged DVD discs. Not when DVDXCOPY lets you make backup copies of all your DVD movies using a standard DVD+R or DVD-R burner! Best of all, your copies will play on your home DVD player just like regular DVDs! (Most Newer DVD Players support DVDR or DVD RW)

The movies you create can be played anywhere - in the living room on your home theater system, or in your portable DVD player or PC with DVD drive. Now you can take your favorite movies with you on the plane, in the car, or wherever you go. If they get lost, stolen, or scratched, you've still got the original safe at home. Now you can make copies of your own home movies to send to friends and family. Now you can backup copies of your entire DVD movie collection without spending hundreds of dollars replacing damaged discs.

[edited to remove link to ripping software by nutcase_1uk]

2. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Or you could get similarly easy results using freeware programs.

Anyway, from the rules:

Also

The way your post is worded, "using nothing more than our software", makes me think that you may be associated with the software. However, you may have just copy and pasted from elsewhere.

:)

3. crawler

crawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello nut
    i have nothing to see with this company, i ve just copy&paste their homepage like you ve seen
    of course the goal of this software is to make easy protection of your favorite dvds it has never never never been designed to hack dvds
    bye
    fred

4. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I thought that might be the case, however it's still (unfortunaltely) illegal to copy DVD's in this country in any way. And as I said, there are ways of doing it without spending $99 anyway, so I'm still against that prog anyway :D

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I like their marketting style.

"PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS!..."

only $99.99

6. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    There is no way of fitting a dual layer disk onto a DVDR without further compression... so what they are saying is also balderdash.

[edited to remove swearing by nutcase_1uk]

7. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    IIRC it puts it onto two disks, and puts the menus on both.

[edited to remove swearing by nutcase_1uk]

8. crawler

crawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi nut
    how do you do to copy a dvd, i ve read it was about half a day to do it
    there is a big thread on avsforum about dvdxcopy

9. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Think I might be stretching the forum rules here some, so my apologies if I have...

[edited to remove content by nutcase_1uk]

It certianly does not take half a day to do it! There's also a big thread on dvddecrypter somewhere in avs, but it has it's own forums anyway.

10. crawler

crawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks
    fred

11. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    nutcase_1uk,

you wrote
    Now, my question is can both of these statements be correct and within the law of this country?

12. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Heh heh I know, was kinda hoping noone would bring that up :)

I did also say
    :)

I didn't want to say how I was doing it, but if I'd rather ppl didn;t pay for sdomething that they can do for free. It probably is illegal, but I guess crawler's gonna do it anyway, so I thought I'd tell him how I've done it, and it didn't cost me a penny. Well except for the original disks in the first place, which I can assure ppl I do own :)

I don't like breaking the law, but IMO it's an unenforcable law anyway, and in my own case the publishers etc. certainly aren;t losing any money.

13. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Forum rules aside, I cannot pinpoint any particular legislation in the UK that say you cannot copy CD or DVD you own in order to make a backup copy or for some other resonable personal use.

If such legislation is in exsistance, should that make for example CD ripping software illegal?

Do you have any other pointers as to where I can find and possibly read the legal restrictions you mentioned earlier?

I think UK legislation differentiates between your right to copy, owning a device capable of performing copying from an otherwise protected source and selling devices that can bypass copy-protection. It is important that we know if any if not all of them are illegal activities.

14. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Unfortuantely I don;t know of any sources: I'd love to know for sure myself! One of the biggest problems I've found is that noone differentiates between US and UK law, and they seem to get mixed together in the internet domain. What may be legal over there may not be legal over here.

Having said that, I believe teh case to be this (in a very basic form):

Music etc.: Not legal to copy/modify in any way.
    Software: Not legal to modify, but legal to make one copy for backup purposes only.

Now, how do you define a DVD? Is it music etc. or is it software? Publishers want it to be music etc., we want it to be software. What is it? I have no idea :(

As for ripping software etc. no it isn;t illegal to teh best of my knowledge. It wouldn;t be illegalt o use it for ripping non-copyright material. The author pf any such software has no control over its use. Tha court case in Denmark or wherever it was found the alleged author of DeCSS (the heart of all DVD rippers) not guilty. A major finding!

15. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Let’s take example of Microsoft. They have a few days ago globally released Windows Media Player version 9 that is openly advertised as: rip your CD collection onto computer and create your own play lists.

I would reasonably expect the phrase 'rip your own collection of CDs' to refer to a music collection containing majority of the CD from the copyrighted sources.

If my thinking and your assumption about copying of copyrighted music is correct, than Microsoft is a major provider of devices designed for the purpose of breaking the law!

I am not legally qualified person but my keen amateurish understanding of the law as it applies in the UK is that any copyrighted material, that you legally own a licence to, is your to do whatever you want within reason. So if you want to re-mix an old Elvis Presley recording and play it loud at your (private) birthday party, it is no business of the copyright owner (imagine a court case in the UK where EMI is suing some kid for modifying the original Elvis with a rap version on his 18th birthday party on a ground of copyright violation). If, on the other hand you want to perform your new re-mix publicly (to a paid audience) that you may need additional license.

Same logic applies to copying of your CD onto say MP3 (they are getting very popular), making additional copies for use in your car or making a compilation of music from several CD. If you start selling such compilations that you are in the breach of the original license.

DVD is additionally burdened with copy-protection device. In the US due to DMCA it is illegal to publish or offer for sale material or devices that would circumvent copy-protection. Owning such device is not illegal, but applying it is! That appears to be in contradiction with fair use principal that allows copying of content for personal use or for academic, library or suchlike purposes.

European Community has recently passed the law that makes selling of circumvention devices illegal however, ownership and applying of such devices is not made illegal.

Russia, China, Mongolia, Albania and many other countries have no such laws at all. So if you go to dvdsoft.ru and download a copy-protection circumvention device you are not breaking UK law. When you apply such a device on a DVD you legally own you are not breaking any UK laws.

The case of dvdxcopy is curious as they give an US address and US telephone number. Maybe a US consumer has got more rights that we credit them for.

16. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 LINK .
    My understanding is copying is illegal.

17. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lynx,

Thank you for the link. You prompted me to do more investigation and I managed to surprise and prove myself partially wrong myself.

I called various institutions asking them a simple question:
    I started by calling The Mechanical Copyright Protection Society. They are generally tasked with issuing licenses for re-recording of copyrighted music from commercial recordings bought retail. The person on the other side said that no additional license is payable if re-recordings are made for private, non-commercial use, but suggested that I check with The British Phonographic Industry Ltd. They told me that in order to copy a CD I would need to have a license! To get the license I should approach the record company that has issued the CD.

The BPI web site does say that the copying without license is not permitted but than list what is permitted use and exceptions. Under permitted use (copying that requires no additional license), making a backup copy and time-shifting is explicitly listed.

Not to be lazy I called Sony Classics and ask them the same question saying that I own a CD issued by them. Prompt answer was “You don’t need the license to copy CD you own onto a minidisk for personal use”. They also said that this applies in general and not only to CDs issued by Sony Classics. So, Sony sells their CDs with copy-for-personal-use license included in retail price.

Next I called EMI Classics, where I was told I do need a license, but the legal person on the other side was pleasantly surprised by me even asking for it and said to send him an e-mail with the list of CDs that I own and want to copy. He said they never issued such a license before but he is willing to grant me such a license without any additional payment. EMI sell CDs without copy-for-personal-use license but is willing to grant it for free.

This little investigation suggest that soon we should start compiling the list of record companies that sell CD with private-use copying license included in the original price and those that do not include such license. For those that do not include the license there is obviously at least an administrative additional cost in obtaining the license (writing letters and keeping track of what license were granted), and is some cases additional license maybe payable or even refused.

18. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmm, most interesting :) I was at one point considering contacting teh various publishers of my CD's to ask for permission, as you have done, but decided that the likelyhood of me being prosecuted minimal, and not worth the efforty. I may do it now just to see if I can be totally legal :)

19. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Few additional observations:

CDs where retail price includes copy-for-personal-use license attached would be increasingly valuable with massive jump in CD-R, MP3 and HTPC use, as they allow for more flexible utility.

In any case discussions on ripping (legally owned music) should not be questioned any more, as if the CDs being ripped are Sony's this is lawful use in the UK.

Assuming the UK CD buying population becomes substantially law abiding, I cannot see likes of EMI being happy about receiving 10's of e-mail per day asking them to give permission to copy this or that CD onto a portable player.

20. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    VIRGIN RECORDS

I've just spoke to Virgin Records, and they confirm that no additional license is recuired to copy their CD for personal, non-commerical use.

21. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the efforts Branxx, it's good to know where we really stand, I'll check out all my CD's and where appropriate may well be mailing for permission!!

Steve