Looing for used 36" CRT TV: Sony or Toshiba?

Reaction score
After 12 year old Panasonic 28" TV was accidentally broke last week, needed to find another TV. Went to have a look at new TVs, but still not convinced by SD picture quality on either LCD or Plasma (cancelled order on a plasma due to this) so have set about trying to find a good second hand 36" CRT widescreen TV. Reason I am looking second hand is that I cannot find anywhere where a 36" CRT is sold new ?? After reading various posts, the Toshiba 36ZP46 seems to be well liked. Does anyone know what is the difference between this model and the 36ZP18 (lots of this model on ebay), or 36ZP28, etc.? Also, the Sony Trinitron seems to be admired. Any 36" Sony models that people would recommend? Is Toshiba / Sony better for picture quality / reliability, etc. or about same?

Thank you for any help received...

hi,

i myself am thinking of getting a 36" toshiba also due to the lcd/plasma dilemma.at least i know what i am going to get with one of these sets rather than waste money.
i currently have a 32zp48p which i believe i the last model tosh made on these sets. i have seen a few on ebay also but from what i know the 18Q models are about 5 yrs old (2001) then the 38p was around 2003 and last ones were 46 and 48's,i think anyway.

hope this helps (someone please correct me if im wrong) :thumbsup:

yes very !! thats why at this moment in time i am seriously thinking about selling the 32" and getting a 36" but as you are probably aware they are quite hard to get hold of,well newer models are anyway.

Markie

I can highly recommend the Toshiba.

I've got the 36" ZP38 bought it 2 years ago from Currys for under £800 and it was the best large telly ( picture quality and look, with the picture frame) at the time.

Had a look at the large LCD's in Currys yesterday and wont change yet as
from the front the Toshiba CRT looks sleeker and the picture quality
is no better. Mines hooked up to the Tosh rdx32 DVD redcorder and on
pogressive scan mode looks excellent.

I would like to ask the forum if i should hook it up with component video
cables as I have it on rgb scart at moment. Will it make any difference to the pic quality ?

The ZP38 btw doesn't have the surround sound. the 46/48 does, mines plugged into Denon avr 1802 for the surround sound.

On the negative side it's 12 stone + and you'll need three people to lift it. It goes back quite a way as well . Watch your backs!

Markie/Jeff if your looking at 36" CRTs you have 2 choices (logical IMHO) Toshibas 36ZP48P (38P/18P) or the Panny PD50 series (I opted for the Tosh 36ZP48P due to my DVD player) , both sets have "issues" but get a good one and the PAL PS Component inputs fed from a good DVD player with trounce LCD or Plasmas. a CRT fed in this way is an awesome display, the only thing I have seen to beat it is HD or Bluray and how many year away is that as a standard. No other 36" CRTs offer component inputs that I know off apart from Loewe Compenent > Scarts IIRC.

Hi Markie...

If you are interested I have a Sony 32" W/S ditial TV with twin Tuners... Great set only 4 years old.. Was £2300.00 new...Let me know...

I have got a panasonic 28" that i'm getting rid off. Yours if you want to collect. works perfectly. I live in Richmond, surrey. dave

:oops: forgot to put a price to it... £300.00

Thanks for the offers of the Sony and Panasonic, but definitely want 36 " Toshiba.....

if you can track the Tosh 36ZP48P down,i would go for this again and again at the min,my friends have lcd plasma ect none look as good as this running component dvds, 360 ect looks amazing even bog standard tv does,which on plasma and lcd look terrible and they agree.

djhavor, thanks for the offer, but have made up my mind that I am going for the Toshiba - if I can find one !!!

Gotta say I still love my tosh-(sorry not selling it), and with component in from a decent player the picture is fantastic, don't think you will go far wrong with one so good hunting.

cheers
d

p.s Saints FC - hurry up and get a component feed plumbed in-makes a world of difference.

if you can track the Tosh 36ZP48P down,i would go for this again and again at the min,my friends have lcd plasma ect none look as good as this running component dvds, 360 ect looks amazing even bog standard tv does,which on plasma and lcd look terrible and they agree.

I have friends that have just bought LCDs-Plasmas that say the same thing when they see my DVD player and Humax through the 36ZP48P too Systemdead.

When will the backlash begin about the crap picture quality that is being served up with LCDs & Plasmas ? Its a bit like buying a whole new fancy type of car that wont do more than 40mph, but is very nice to look at design wise. :rotfl:

Excellent choice Markie, if you do get one, sit back and watch the HD-TV / HD-DVD / Blu-Ray debacle about to begin (or never be resolved) :smashin:

Hi Piston Broke, Got my component leads form er.......B&Q yesterday...Materplugs £12......couldnt wait.

But it does make a big difference. Set DVD & TV to progessive and
the colours are really defined, ( without saturation). Plus the depth
is also noticable, even my missus commented without prompting.

Happy hunting Markkie.

The lass noticed....flippin' eck!
Glad it was worth it mate

cheers
d

Thanks guys (or girls?). Still no joy on finding a Toshiba yet, but still looking...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom