Longevity of DVD recorders ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SystemBlack, Mar 17, 2006.

1. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Philips DVD recorder model 75 for 18 months and it packed in. I got a Sony GX210S from Curry's (I know, big mistake) and it failed after 6 weeks. They, Curry's, wouldn't replace it for me, hiding behind the "4 weeks, money back guarantee thingy, and I had to send it for repair. Purchased in June 2005, repaired in Aug 2005, and it failed again mid Feb- same fault - "cannot play this disc". Sony were good about this and did a swap out for me around 3 weeks ago.
    Bought a Pye 645 from Asda in September as a seconary unit (as I knew it was Philips machinery and liked the Philips edit facility and accuracy, way ahead of the Sony) and was very happy until it failed a couple of weeks after the Sony. Luckily, Asda have the best warranty service available - they gave me a refund even though the unit was 6 months old. Now I have the GX210 only and frankly, aren't that confident of the unit being that reliable.
    I am seriously considering a Lite-On unit as I have used their CD/DVD drives for my PC and haven't had one bit of trouble with either.

All the above has made me question the longevity of DVD recorders as stand alone home units. Luckily I have a Philips DVHS deck but it isn't easy to edit adverts out when recording live. I hate digital, long live analogue......

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Panasonics are really reliable, almost everything else is pooh.

Also DVD recorders tend to fail quickly if placed in a confined space, hifi stacks are a big no no. Heat kills em quick!

3. DRAMBO

DRAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have had a Panasonic DMR-E50 for 3 years, it hasn't missed a beat since I got it.:thumbsup:

4. JB38

JB38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Anyone that has a DVD recorder that they haven't had problems with should consider themselves lucky, as NONE of them can be classed as reliable as far as the actual DVD disc side of things are concerned.

Put simply, the technology involved in the reading, and more so the burning of discs is just not really good enough, with the worst of all combinations when a DVD with a less than perfect burn etc, is used in a machine with a somewhat weaker laser, that is of course excluding the deterioration aspect of the disk base material itself causing reading failures when used in equipment with perfect lasers. (or as near as achievable anyway)

The system is so erratic, I am reliably informed that even In Sony's service department when a DVD player / recorder is actually witnessed as being faulty in disc reading etc, any laser test usually indicates everything is OK, however the fault will still only clear by replacing the complete laser assembly.

5. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

Also worth knowing the mean time between failure for DVD lasers is only around 5000 hours.

Regards

Phil

6. JB38

JB38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    RE: the above comment of "you" having to send it for repair, I take it you volunteered to do that?, as your contract is with the shop, and as such only obliged to take it there, as its up to them to send it to where ever to get repaired.

Thats the good thing about purchasing from these high street stores, but over their website, as you can take whatever into their nearest service department, which saves the hassle + cost of packing and posting.

7. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have had my Panny E30 for over 3 years and for most of that time used it daily and its still going strong along with my new E20D...

8. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, they insisted I contact Sony and get them to do the repair thingy. I tried to sort it out through managers, etc at head office via email but they were so stubborn and obstructive, even after quoting the sale of goods act etc, I needed to have it repalced asap so got Sony to organise the repair.
    I will NEVER buy anything from Currys/Dixons again. I always avoid them whenever possible but was desperate when my Philips deck went bye byes.

9. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Tosh RD-XS30 - got one when they first came out approx 3 years ago now. I can tell you with confidence (because of my wife's excellent filing system :smashin: ) that we have burned in excess of 5,000 disks during that time. :thumbsup: Worth every penny and still going strong.

10. JB38

JB38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes, I have to admit that there is a number of people who have not experienced any great problems (this mostly applying to older machines) and you are obviously one who has been lucky, as thats most definitely what it is, luck!!.

The whole burning / reading system is inherently prone to faults for all the reasons mentioned in my posting, and I say this as an engineer that tries my damnedest "not" to get involved with DVD equipments because of their erratic reliability.

However it would be interesting if you chose a few at random discs from your "archive" collection and checked out if they still play OK, as anyone that considers any of their archive material important should not to store it on one disc and have another copy, or if its really important, keep a VHS copy stored away in a damp free cupboard.

11. Churnobyl

Churnobyl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    bought toshiba xs24 in january mid march it packs up. phoned toshiba technical helpline they picked it up for repair. they phoned me on friday said take it back to currys for refund we cant fix it parts are obsolete. work that one out.

12. JB38

JB38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Toshiba is quite correct, as a purchasers contract is with the store he / she bought the item from and not from them, and the actual manufacturers should not really be involved during the period that the guarantee applies, if any of them do, its really (and only!) as a goodwill measure.

Anyone that experiences problems of being fobbed off by wherever they purchased the item from, (e.g: SystemBlack) should pay a visit to their local trading standards office, as they will soon tell the retailer of their responsibilities.

Some retailers think they are in the USA, where although some consumer protection can be better than ours in the UK, you really have to fight for it, as retailers over there will wash their hands of any responsibility after 30 days.

13. knightman

knightman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DVDR Toshiba RD-XS30 , HDD gave out after two years , and little action - cost was supposed to be over £160 for a new drive - complained to Toshiba and they have offered me a new drive for free - top company, after talking this over with the repair shop , they sadi Toshiba are often like this - top company

14. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I am a huge Panasonic fan, mine has been replaced once and is going back again this week as it appears to be dying :(

The Dude

15. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Excellent advice for anyone storing important stuff. In fact, we do indeed store our most treasured on multiple discs and also keep an image on computer HDD (RAID, of course!)

However, most of ours is for educational purposes (wife is an English/Film Studies lecturer) so we dip into the archive on a very regular basis, and the media gets played on a variety of hardware. So far, so good :thumbsup: