1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Longest lamp life? Mine now past the 4000 hours mark

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by SanPedro, Jan 10, 2005.

1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    And still going strong...

I know weve had a thread on lamp life before. But now that some people have been using PJs for a while.

Anybody better that? (it's a Panny AE100 with the original bulb in place)

Chris

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Well done!

I'm sure there's lots of people in the "real" world who fearlessly thrash their bulb life for all it's worth.

Unfortunately us forum dwellers seem to be plagued by short life bulbs, flickering bulbs, dust, VB, screen door, rainbows and raging fan noise.

Makes you wonder why we bother really!

...PJ :devil:

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Chris,

That's good stuff with your AE100 - I'm on about 1700 hrs (I think.. haven't checked recently) but everything is behaving as it should.

You might have seen Calibos' thread about 5000 hrs on his AE300, I think he's a good way through the second lamp now...... heroic stuff ! :smashin:

PJTX100,

Speak for yourself....... :devil:

Regards,

Sean.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    A machine with *all* these foibles would be a sight to behold, if technically impossible!... :)
    ...PJ

5. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    after 2.5 years I'm on about 1800 hours on my AE100 - one thing tho, I'm getting less and less tollerant of the greys and murkey shadow detail of this projector particularly on dark films (lord of the rings and collateral take a bow)

Maybe i'm just not as wowed as I once was...

Maybe I 'need' an AE700

6. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Been thinking the same thing myself. Luckily I work down the road from Ben at Discount Electrical. Will have to find time to audition the Panny 700, Themscene H57 and the Sony HS50.

Still... it's better than no projector, or watching stuff on a 32" widescreen TV ;)

chris

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think I'd rather play it safe and not have to clean out all the broken glass :rolleyes:

8. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    9700 hrs on a Sim2 HT 200 :)

Verified by Sim2 UK

Jeff :rtfm:

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Jeff,

Given the premium pricing of the SIM HT range, you wouldn't be too surprised......

Sean.

10. Sporran

Sporran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    guys just curious. With that amount of hours have you noticed any degredation. Must admit it may be hard to spot specially as it probably comes in gradually over time, if any.

Just curious.

11. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just stepped up from the AE100 to the Sony HS50. A very satisfying step it was too :D
    I was tiring of the grey murk on dark films, the biggest factor in my upgrade.

12. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Got my Ae100 in March/April 2002 and had put 3500 hours on it in 11 months until I returned it due to heat damage to the optics. Got an AE300 in late May 2003 and got the full 5000 hours out of the bulb. New bulb went in in late June 2004 and I have about 1700 hours on this second bulb since then. No heat damage to my optics this time as I run permanently in Low Lamp/ High Fan mode. I'm in no hurry to change PJ's and am prepared to wait for the 3 chip DLP's to arrive in the budget sector of the market. If that means waiting another 3 or 4 years then no problem. the only reason I'll get a new projector before then is if my Ae300 blows up!!

Sean, we got our AE100's around the same time! You've done 1700 hours for my 10200!! :D

13. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Zig

Did you audition any others before you made this move? The HS50 does look a mighty satisfying upgrade from my, now, humble AE100. I'd rather upgrade this over any other component in my system (apart from new DVD player I guess), even though the other components are not the greatest.

The image quality is slowly starting to grate on me now.

Chris

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: How long is this over?? Considering that sleeping and eating genrally take up at least 8 hours a day that's 16 hours (minimum i'd say) a day when it would be feasible to be watching a PJ. So that's a total of around 638 days - not far off two entire years spent watching a PJ.

I take it that you must run/use the PJ as part of your job or something as that is a crazy amount of PJ viewing!

15. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never Chris, I was looking to upgrade to the AE700 at Christmas but decided after doing my homework that the HS50 was the one for me. I could of taken a look at the 700 when I had my demo of the Sony but never really felt the need as I was already 99% set on the HS50.

16. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    What kind of couch potato do you take me for!! :D

3 brothers and parents use the PJ too. So there is always someone wanting to use the projector. If its not being used to watch Dvds by one brother, its being used by another to play Xbox/PS2/Gamecube, or the old man is watching Sky sports or the Old dear is watching Corro etc. And before you think we must all be porkers from sitting around watching a PJ for 10200 hours, I can assure you that all our BMI's are in the normal range! All I have to show for my sedentary lifestyle is a very small bear belly that a few 'weeks' excercise would fix!! :D :D

So even if 3 or 4 are at work there will probably still be someone at home wanting to use the PJ. Its not necessarily being watched for the full 10 hours or so a day but seeing as someone will generally want to use it in any given 2 hour period, then there is no point in turning it off. If we did that it would be on and off about 10 times a day which is a lot more stressfull for the bulb whereas leaving it on wont stress the bulb but can lead to heat damage to the optics. Thats why I run it low lamp/high fan.

We basically use it like a TV. If I'm honest with myself even if the picture does start to degrade from heat damage I won't get the family to alter our viewing habits. :D Seeing as they are so attached to it now I shouldn't have any problem convincing the rest of the them to chip in for the purchase of a new PJ. (I paid for the Ae100/300 by myself because its something I wanted) Now I can get them to chip in on a new latest model PJ should the need arise because it will be something 'we all want'. :D

But like I said in my previous post, we are quite happy with the AE300 and have no intention in upgrading unless 3 chip DLP's arrive in the budget/lower mid end of the market or the PJ BLOWS UP! Whichever comes first! :D

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    Yeah fair point. If you use it like a TV it will soon rack up those hours I guess.

That said, i've only had my PJ for a few days and have notched up a good 50 hours so far lol. I can't stay off the thing! :thumbsup: