longer lifespan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dreeko, Aug 3, 2005.

1. dreeko

dreeko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    two projectors , one lcd and one dlp at the same price

which type has the longer lifespan dlp or lcd

the reason im asking is i have heard that lcd projectors degenerate fairly fast, is this true or false

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    In domestic circumstances, false.

It is true that the LCD's polorisers can be a damaged by excessive heat, but unless you're running your projector 24/7 in a warm environment then this is simply not a problem.

Texas Insturments, who have an obvious bias towards their own technology,
    carried out the experiment in these such circumstances, and you can bet they chose LCD models with less efficient cooling systems to further shift the results in their favour.

I have owned 3 LCD projectors without such problems and there are many heavier LCD users than me on these forums who could similarly report a clean bill of health after thousands of hours domestic use.

3. dreeko

dreeko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply :smashin:

had me worried

4. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If anything single chip DLPs will probably prove to have a higher failure rate. If minor degradation is not considered as a failure i.e loss of a number of pixels or stuck DMD mirrors, then DLP is far more likely to fail catastrophically (total loss of projection function excluding bulb failures) than LCD.

I have no actual reliability data on the colour wheel in a single chip DLP but it's a significant mechanical part spinning away at 7200rpm, or around 1 million revolutions per movie. It will wear at a certain rate and be far more unreliable than non-moving electronic components.

No one is going to convince me that DLP is more reliable than LCD.