Long Way Up (AppleTV+)

Saw him on the Bill Maher show, saying the electric bikes were a challenge to get charged but for they were in hick country who had generators when needed.
Charley and Ewan have great-mate chemistry. Should be some decent views and people to marvel at,. as per

So this is a new series?

I enjoyed the previous series years ago

Looks good and the bikes look amazing to but are £30k to buy, seen a bit less with grant and reductions but still far to high but is new tech!

Episode 1 Preparation
Good opener looking at all the planning and prep it takes along with renewing the friendship between Ewan and Charlie after numerous hiccups to get this trip rolling, first episode is free for all viewers good job as I forgot PW until Mrs gets home, will watch next couple eps later tonight but so far so good, can't believe the last one was 12 years ago.

Oh good, although a biker I never got in to this when first on. Saw them on the One show other day and sounds like they got back together chatting etc more and after Charlie had a big bike accident.
The electric Harley Livewires they use woud love to have but at a 30k or just bit less minus the grant its still mental cost.
They do a rolling road truck thing where can test it on a rolling road and on the road, my local dealer had today but no point if can't ever get!

I got into motorcycling because of this show. After watching the first series I booked some lessons and had my own bike quickly after. So this show, and the enthusiasm the boys have really has a special place for me. And the comradarie and enthusiasm is still there. It's a joy to ride with the boys, and the PQ is staggering considering the compact cameras being used. But going electric has really hamstrung the episodes I've seen. I hope this sorts itself out but the first two and a half episodes are almost exclusively focused around getting electric bikes and cars, and then dealing with all the hassle of how useless batteries are in the cold. Which seemed so obvious and common knowledge I can't believe it wasn't planned for. I'm sure once they hit warmer climes the range will get to be more reasonable and it'll be better. I still don't see the point. If they were really concerned about the environment to such a degree they wouldn't go in the first place. The most ridiculous thing is that they're being followed around by a diesel truck with a diesel generator to charge the bikes. The emissions of that one truck plus generator most likely is greater than if they'd just used petrol bikes in the first place. Seems like a false economy, carbon wise.

we watched the first 3 eps today, I like it. Some of the scenery is absolutely stunning but you can't help thinking the electric bikes are a big mistake for the journey they're making.
Anyone know how may episodes there's going to be in this series? Their progress seems a little slow so far

Nice to hear them using music from Dredd at various points :smashin:

we watched the first 3 eps today, I like it. Some of the scenery is absolutely stunning but you can't help thinking the electric bikes are a big mistake for the journey they're making.
Anyone know how may episodes there's going to be in this series? Their progress seems a little slow so far

Nice to hear them using music from Dredd at various points :smashin:
11 weeks i heard mentioned

They do a rolling road truck thing where can test it on a rolling road and on the road, my local dealer had today but no point if can't ever get!

Wait.... What?

They put a rolling road on the back of a truck and then drive you around the real roads?

Wait.... What?

They put a rolling road on the back of a truck and then drive you around the real roads?

Lol, no I think its more to get used to no gears etc as its like an automatic really, then if want to can take it on the road. It sounds crazy to as the whine from gear box is loud.

Seen six eps i had no idea about Charlie's life threatening accident before the show :eek:, which brought up its own trials & tribulations along the journey Whilst a lot of focus is spent on the electric charging, they still made time & effort to interact with the communities along the journey like the school kids.
How great were Rivian & Harley Davison companies to make it all possible and putting in many extra hours of work. Could they not had any solar panels on the trucks?

there was that time when the truck started to roll back :eek:

I’m a few episodes behind , might binge watch it 👍

Rivian & Harley invented/built a system for them to re-charge the Harley's directly from the Rivians, during this and they also built a set of road-side chargers as well for the next set of people who do this.

Is my memory playing tricks on me, or did last week's episode end with the cliffhanger of one of the support vehicles having an accident & a quick cut to black, & then this week it wasn't even mentioned?

(admittedly, there was another accident with one of the Rivians this week, but I don't think it was the same crash)

Is my memory playing tricks on me, or did last week's episode end with the cliffhanger of one of the support vehicles having an accident & a quick cut to black, & then this week it wasn't even mentioned?

agree on the no go cliffhanger

found this to be rather dull with over dramatic moments which in contrast to many of the YouTube travel vloggers like c90adventures just put them to shame with their full support crew, fully planned ferry crossings and "incidental hotels" ect...

Rivian & Harley invented/built a system for them to re-charge the Harley's directly from the Rivians, during this and they also built a set of road-side chargers as well for the next set of people who do this.
I bet they learn loads from this trip as well in terms of limitations etc which will help in future developments. One thing I take from this people in the sticks are already embracing alternative power because they have no choice, while us lazy buggers won’t. Maybe the silly price of solar etc over here if it came down considerably would be adopted.

Just binged the first 6 episodes and it's great TV.
I liked the Worlds' Dangerous Roads series that the beeb did but these hit home better as a biker.
The two are top blokes and the crew nicely integrate with the show and don't feel like invasive add-ons.
Amazing scenery along the way. Makes me want to go.
How no one factored in the cold and electric batteries had me🤦‍♂️

#7 Peru / Machu Picchu

The penultimate episode had a good mix of travel and humanitarian elements and less focus on charging, though Rivian did come up with a game changing, faster charging solution but no explanation on tech, hope it does not drain the trucks :D

Ewan was very fertile and pulled in minutes :D

Captured the downside of being a celebrity as well he had been dreaming of this visit for most of his life only to be greeted by fans hungry for photos in such a remote place must have felt like a nightmare to him deep down./SPOILER]

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom