Long Time Since I Bought A TV - Help!

P

PTMW!

Last bought a 21" about 7 years ago although its still going, have a desire to purchase a 32" to fill the fireplace space in our study/family room ;)

So went to TV shop and just looking at Sony machines there was a wide range of 32" in both price and features :eek:

I've also browsed this forum and I'm still utterly confused! So I wouldn't really have a clue as where to start speccing/finding a new TV :rolleyes:

I've drawn up a small list of requirements and other bits/pieces.

32" 100mhz
Inc Freeview (for cbeebies!)
Digital so that not affected by analogue switch off in a few years time.
Er..

Other equipment that we have, which I'd prefer to keep (not replace) and use alongside.
Sony STR-DE405 Audio Visual Control Centre (surround sound thingy & receiver/amp)
Sony DVP S325 DVD player (twin scart)
Sony SLV E8 Video player

Idea being that TV puts its sound though the amp for surround etc, as does DVD.

Any pointers, advice, recommendations GRATEFULLY received!

:lease:

There are not than many models if you discount old TVs .

There are 3 or 4 to look at if you stay with Sony - get the catalogue and have a nose through

Freeview and digital are same thing.

One of the DRCMF IDTVs has optical out - this wil sound better through an AV amp than stereo out

You'll struggle to find a set with 100mhz output. Currently sets are limited to a mere 100hz or 120hz in ntsc mode. You might find that you would prefer a 50hz 32" tv. They tend to have a better RGB picture and you don't get any picture processing problems like 100hz.

Originally posted by bonzobanana
You'll struggle to find a set with 100mhz output. Currently sets are limited to a mere 100hz

In other words you made a spelling mistake.

100MHz = 100,000,000Hz

Have a look at 50hz sets as they may suit you better that the 100hz models.Also don't be put off by using an off board digital box.

RGB is a very good video input, it means Red,Green,Blue.

The best is Component but you will not find it on Sony TV's.

Originally posted by lynx
don't be put off by using an off board digital box.

IDTV's can be found for less than a 50Hz with an external digital tuner.

For example Sony's 28DL10 is only £25 more than the 28LS36.

if you have not had a 100hz tv before, i would get a demo of one side by side with a 50hz tv first, using normal tv not a dvd.

have a look at sonys new model KD-32DX51 comes out in june apparently.

good luck :confused:

The main problem with 100Hz is blurring, especialy fast panning shots which will judder extremely.

My Thomson actually seems to improve the smoothness of panning shots over 50hz sets. Not every 100hz causes extra judder. Remember 100hz sets are actually creating extra fields that are between the normal fields and these created fields are blended from the two original fields beside it so the result should be smoother movement. The real problem is doing this without softening the image. I'm sure there are 100hz sets with judder problems but that doesn't effect all of them some actually improve the smoothness of movement..

I own an IDTV and a Pace Twin - the Twin is good but the picture is a little better via the TV.

I'd recommend an IDTV - prevents analogue misusage as well - no squash & stretch on 1-5.

I think that Sony's new KD-32DX200 would perfectly fit your requirements. It's a 32"100Hz digital set, and there's a favourable review of it in the current What Video Widescreen Entertainment mag. You'll quickly get used to the high quality of digital widescreen pictures so luckily it has 2 RGB scart inputs which you can fill with your DVD player and a digital PVR (such as the Pace twin or the Humax single-tuner products). It also has one other scart (for your analog VCR) and a digital optical output for your AV amp. You can find cheaper IDTVs but I reckon that if you're looking for something to take you through to analog switch-off and beyond you'd best get a good quality set. (At least that's the argument I'm trying to convince my wife with :))

I think that Sony's new KD-32DX200 would perfectly fit your requirements.

Good choice!

Originally posted by PTMW!
but whats this RGB output stuff? :confused:
As Paul Atreides mentioned, RGB is a good quality interface but the key thing to consider is that this is the output format of most DVD players and digital PVRs. VCRs don't have RGB outputs so you can plug them into non-RGB scart sockets without losing picture quality. And if you're using a Sony VCR with Smartlink capability then it's actually advantageous to hook it up to the non-RGB scart (on a Sony TV). But just to confuse you again - RGB enabled and non-RGB enabled scart sockets look exactly the same, so you have to check the labels next to them. (Three dots normally indicates RGB.)

Have any of you experienced Sony's new Picture Power processing - is it any good ?

i had the dx200 and it was a major dissapointment, sent it back for a refund. this was my first 100hz tv so i wasnt sure what to expect.
i found that the picture was very blurry looking even when not panning. for instance when looking at a persons face the detail was lost slightly and it gives a blurry looking effect.
i went to the sony center after returning my dx200, and compared it with a 50hz set and other 100hz sets. every 100hz set had the same thing compared to 50hz sets.
its a personal thing really, i dont mean to put you off a 100hz tv, you may well love it. all im saying is make sure you know what to look for before you buy

cheers

Originally posted by bonzobanana
My Thomson actually seems to improve the smoothness of panning shots over 50hz sets. Not every 100hz causes extra judder. Remember 100hz sets are actually creating extra fields that are between the normal fields and these created fields are blended from the two original fields beside it so the result should be smoother movement. The real problem is doing this without softening the image. I'm sure there are 100hz sets with judder problems but that doesn't effect all of them some actually improve the smoothness of movement..

Not all 100Hz processing interpolates field information, basic 100Hz TVs (AABB) will not do this which is why you pay more for better processing.

Are you saying your TV does not expose fields when text is scrolling horizontally?
That's amazing if it does, and would renew my confidence in 100Hz.

Analogue switch off isn't going to happen for another 6years so I wouldn't worry about it - buy then 100Hz tv's will be a lot better and cheaper.

I have a Thomson WB643 100Hz and the picture is really clear - haven't noticed any digital artifacts. This is a tv worth looking at - has 3scarts (2rgb) and component input for your dvd. Can be bought at a reasonable price - £200 off since December.

Originally posted by Gort
Analogue switch off isn't going to happen for another 6years
The current plan is for the first regions to switch-off in TWO years time.

We're a little too close to the next general election for that to be public information yet, but the plan is a gradual transition between 2006 to 2010.

I have just bought the Sony KV32FX68 as my first 100hz set and i'm very pleased with it.
I can't say that i have noticed any more blurring than there was on my 50hz Sony( there as always been some blurring on digitaltv, but i have read that this is more to do with the real time encoding of the pictures by the broadcaster, the present encoding technology just can't cope with it.

The people that dont like 100 hz are they using
a analogue signal or are they using a skybox/ntl
because as far as i can tell using a decent source for a
100 hz w/s is generally better then using a aerial
which is more suited to the 50 hz sets.

On another note the new dx200 from sony doesnt using picture
power which is a dissapointment as with it im sure it would
of been 1 of the best on market.

The other new sony KV3286FQ does have picture power
but doesnt use extra processing.Would be interesting to
see what picture is like on this.

The latest video from AVForums