Long time out the plasma market..need some pointers

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
Hi

I purchased a Hitachi 42PD7200 in July 2005 and apart from a psu hiccup, it has produced a great picture for SD & HD sources.

The panel has lost a bit of brightness and is not full HD (it is 1024x1024) and I reckon I've clocked up around 8500 hours over my 3.5 years.

So I'm in the market for an upgrade with a budget of around £1200.

It needs to have:-

full HD
3 HDMI inputs
Good SD scaling
smooth panning for films and bluray
ability to play games (PC & Console)
Outstanding bluray/HD picture
Gloss black finish
46" in size

Can all you helpful folks recommend the best there is for my price range (could stretch a little)

Thank you:smashin:

Last edited:

rewerb

Novice Member
46" limits you to only some Panasonic models. 50" and you get a choice of all the plasma manufacturers.

what's your viewing distance?

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
46" limits you to only some Panasonic models. 50" and you get a choice of all the plasma manufacturers.

what's your viewing distance?
thanks for the reply

viewing distance is only about 2.5m but im not fussed about being a tad too close as i prefer it that way.

onmeheadson

Hi

I purchased a Hitachi 42PD7200 in July 2005 and apart from a psu hiccup, it has produced a great picture for SD & HD sources.

The panel has lost a bit of brightness and is not full HD (it is 1024x1024) and I reckon I've clocked up around 8500 hours over my 3.5 years.

So I'm in the market for an upgrade with a budget of around £1200.

It needs to have:-

full HD
3 HDMI inputs
Good SD scaling
smooth panning for films and bluray
ability to play games (PC & Console)
Outstanding bluray/HD picture
Gloss black finish
46" in size

Can all you helpful folks recommend the best there is for my price range (could stretch a little)

Thank you:smashin:
Seriously, wait for new Panasonic range which is due out in Feb/March.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Seriously, wait for new Panasonic range which is due out in Feb/March.
I'd agree. Or at the very least wait and see what the prices are. This will mean the current range gets a discount.

Dr Force

Distinguished Member
Hi Guys

Another thing that I have noticed on the Hitachi screen is the awful colour banding on SD & DVD sources (and a fair bit on games consoles).

I played Superman via HD DVD at 1080i over component and the blacks were flicking between green and black, it looked terrible yet looks outstanding on my PJ.

I prefer Plasma as I think it has much better blacks and brightness in normal veiwing, but is this a drawback of the technology that colour banding is prevelant with SD/DVD?

Still working on an upgrade so next question is, do the new plasma's improve on colour banding.

Thanks
Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom