Long-time lurker needing advice!

daschmoo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've been lurking on the forums for years and have always managed to find the information I need but now I need a bit of advice really as I know little about home cinema setups.

I've just purchased a Panasonic TXP42X10 (being delivered on Tuesday!) and now I need a surround system for it as I'll really miss my old Pro Logic Panasonic CRT!

My requirements are to connect a Wii and Sky+HD... iPod dock/connection would be nice but not essential as it can connect straight to the plasma via USB. I have no need for Blu Ray as I do not intend to start a new collection and upscaled DVD is more than sufficient for our needs (or maybe you could convince me otherwise!!! :D).

Ideally I'd like to make use of the Viera Link facility as HWMBO will get confused with even more remotes to contend with... and it'll only lead to audio settings being messed up!

Any suggestions of something around the £250 mark???

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

*EDIT*

Forgot to mention it must also be divx/xvid compatible!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion seems great - and on budget...

... have just searched this forum for that model number though and someone mentioned that it doesn't decode 5.1 from external sources? So I'm right in thinking that my Sky+HD would be stuck with standard stereo? Kinda defeats the object a bit. Is this common for these setups not to fully service external sources or is it my lack of budget getting in the way?

TBH if it was a toss up between 5.1 for everything and forgoing the viera link then I think I'd prefer decent audio! :D

Any other suggestions... would Q Link be an otion for me???

Sorry for all the questions but like I said in my first post I kinda a bit behind the times with home cinema!

:thumbsup:

Ok I think I need to learn some basics before I can research any more systems...

How would my setup "ideally" be connected??? Have never thought much about it before but I guess you need...

TV >>> Home Cinema - guessing this can be standard scart as it will be an SD source???

Sky HD >>> Home Cinema - optical or digital input to allow 5.1???

Sky HD >>> TV - HDMI connection for HD content??? Assumption is made here that vision feeds go directly to TV rather than via home cinema... is this right?

Home Cinema >>> TV - HDMI connection for upscaled DVD or BluRay content???

Wii >>> TV - not sure what premium connection is for this

Wii >>> Home Cinema - not sure what premium connection is for this either!

Sorry for going on but I am beginning to think I know even less about this than I thought... was so much easier with integrated surround sound on my old telly! :D

Ok I think I need to learn some basics before I can research any more systems...

How would my setup "ideally" be connected??? Have never thought much about it before but I guess you need...

TV >>> Home Cinema - guessing this can be standard scart as it will be an SD source???

Sky HD >>> TV - HDMI connection for HD content??? Assumption is made here that vision feeds go directly to TV rather than via home cinema... is this right?

Sorry for going on but I am beginning to think I know even less about this than I thought... was so much easier with integrated surround sound on my old telly! :D
You may not need such a connection.

Optical cable. The comments elsewhere about Pannasonic not decoding external sources I think applies only to DTS and not Dolby.

Sky direct to TV.

Correct

I know nothing about Wii.

I am not sure how this copy and paste will work, fingers crossed.

You may not need such a connection.

Optical cable. The comments elsewhere about Pannasonic not decoding external sources I think applies only to DTS and not Dolby.

Sky direct to TV.

Correct

I know nothing about Wii.

I am not sure how this copy and paste will work, fingers crossed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom