1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

long throw projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by michael.redfern, Oct 14, 2003.

1. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Can anyone recommend an LCD projector (sorry, I'm a rainbow kid) that could be used at 17-18 feet from the screen, but only throw a 6-8 foot image at that distance? :confused: Oh, and that doesn't cost like £5000.

I know it's a tall order, because most (of the good value ones at least) seem to only offer 10-13 feet away for that size.

Or, is there a way I can add an additional lens or something to enable me to use one that far away. My local dealer has been ZERO help so far.

I'm thinking of (no surprises here) the Panny 200 or 300, the Sony HS2, the Sanyo Z1. The usual suspects really.

First time poster, so come on guys, wow me with your knowledge!!! ;)

2. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the "Find Projectors" part of projector central.

here

You can put in your throw / diagonal and get a list of pj's.

Sharp XJ-Z90 is in the list.

Alternative is a long throw lens.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unlikely to achieve a 6' image with an 18' throw distance with any long throw lens, let alone projector.

Currently have 2 Sharps to review & I can confirm that they are long throw.

Long throw lenses are very expensive :eek:

:smoke:

4. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    6ft no. But 8ft is a possibility I think.

5. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Blimey, you're not kidding about the lenses being expensive!!! That's as much as I've been considering for the projector itself.

I've seen the throw calculator at projectorcentral, but hadn't found the reverse searcher, so thanks for that.:hiya:

You're right, the list is limited.

Just for a few more details, the room is 19.5' front to back, but the screen can't go all the way to the wall, and minus the depth of the PJ itself (should I do that?), gives 17'.

I sit 12' back (ish), so using the advice from other threads about the 1.5-2:1 screen ratio, that's where I got the 6-8' from.

If only want a cheapish projector, then I'm limiting my resolution options, and I suppose shouldn't really go much bigger than this.
    Anyone have any thoughts?

Due to the nature of my ceiling, I can't really channel for cables across it, but will probably have to think about it since I don't think I have much choice but to mount the PJ 2/3 back across the ceiling.

Thanks for the help so far guys. :smashin:

6. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, throw distance is from lens to screen.

Would be well worth having a look at the Panasonic projectors, they have the Smoothscreen gizmoid that reduce the screendoor, certainly does the trick (although the downside is perhaps a softer image).

Alternatively what about a "coffee table" mounting in front of you ? Or is the ceiling you only option ?

7. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91

Yeah, the two Panasonics are top of my list at the moment. I've seen the 200 for £848 so far, and £899 including a 69" screen, but I might want one a bit bigger than that, 84" maybe.

The coffee table mounting is a possibility, but i don't favour the cables over (or under) the carpet approach and would rather have them around the edge of the room, you know to improve the WAF a bit ;) (though frankly if I can get the screen and PJ past, the cables are the least of my worries! :D )

I'm gonna borrow a Dell pc PJ from work tonight which is 4:3, but has a similar throw to the Pannies and will help me get an idea of scale. I'm also gonna borrow one of those cable detector gadgets and see of there's anything nasty crossing the ceiling where I might wanna drill some holes or channel for cables.

Thanks for the help today guys, I might get back on here tomorrow if got more questions. I've no doubt that I will.

8. Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I got my AE200 from here . Only £720, much cheaper than the £848 you found, although you might want to check out komplett on policies for dead pixels etc. (luckily mine didn't have any dead pixels).

The AE200's lens is very short throw though, infact, at about 10feet from the screen for me, it produces a picture 2 meters wide. Not exactly sure that's what you want ;)

9. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Thanks for the link Tomfoolery. Yeah, cheapest by miles as far as I can see, though a colleague muttered some warning about graded stock, but I couldn't find anything on the website.

I'm gonna go for it, build a stand and go with the icestorm MDF suggestions from other threads. I discoverd a hollow channel in my ceiling to route cables through, so if it all goes well I think I'll try and ceiling mount it later on when I've saved for a decent screen.

Thanks everyone for the help. :smashin: