long throw projector suggestions?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sofa-spud, Sep 2, 2004.

1. sofa-spud

sofa-spud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Would like to get a PJ for the big screen events.
    My problem is I need one with a (very?) long throw...
    I have a 66" wide (76" diag) screen, and the PJ will sit approx 5m :eek: away on a shelf on the rear wall.

the only ones I can find are the SIM domino20 or the infocus777 (@20K... :eek: )

The PJ has to be sited at the rear wall(puts the lense around 4.6/4.7m from screen), so cannot be ceiling mounted(old house, ceilings too high), and the screen has to fit the width of the chimney breast, 1.94m(the screen above fits nicely)

Could anyone suggest any?
    Do any PJ's have long throw lense's as an option?
    With side shift on the lense? better stop, getting greedy now...

thanks in advance for any replies

John

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    John,

The Sim2 Domino 20 would fill your screen anywhere from 3.69m to 5.2m (lens to screen distance)

Jeff :rtfm:

3. sofa-spud

sofa-spud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply Jeff. I ahve considered the SIM, but it is over budget(at the moment...).

I thought some PJ's (Sony?) had other lense's available for them, at some cost?

John

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    John,

Most Home Cinema projectors do not have lens options.
    Some Sony and Sharp do as do the 3 chip DLPs like the Sim2 HT500 Link.

Some of the lens options are quite expensive.

Regards

Jeff :rtfm:

5. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Sofa-Spud - I think you might wanna start considering other options for your projection system. Not many projectors have lens options available, those that do the lens is around £1000!! And not many projectors can hit that throw ratio either. As far as I can tell your options are

- pay for a projector you don't really want, or is nicely over budget :rolleyes: and that gets the throw. Projectiondesign model zero five mkII should get your image size from 462cm (although there is always a +/- 5% factor).
    - ceiling mount the projector on a long pole
    - increase screen size (likely to look stupid if the fireplace is not flush with the wall)
    - move screen closer? If the ceiling isn't too high you could get a screen with say 3ft of extra black drop above the viewable area, mount it away from the fireplace on the ceiling giving a shorter throw (also consider a bigger screen too unless seating is going to be too close)
    - don't permanently install the projector. Bring it out and stick it on the coffee table when you want to use it. Maybe run some permanent cables to sockets hidden under the table.
    - put the screen and projector somewhere else!!!!

Hope this might inspire an idea or two for you!

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,982
    I have a Philips Bogart that has quite a long throw (about 180cm wide at 4.5m) it also has a digital zoom that lets you shrink the projected image even more by using a bit less than the panel (1024x768 DLP).
    It's very small and light but there's no HDMI/DVI input and bulb life is shorter than some competitors. It was the only PJ in (over) my budget that suited my throw/screen size restrictions. It puts a big grin on my face every time I power it up.

http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/Philips_Bogart_Matchline.htm
    There's a PDF and screen calculator here - their price is £1,359.48 including VAT)
    Philips have pulled out of this market so you may find good deals on this model if anywhere has stock - parts and support etc. are still available as Philips is a massive company.

I would also seriously consider one of the current crop of LCD projectors (AE500, TX100 etc.) and a portable screen that you could put in front of the fireplace to get a shorter throw and widen your PJ options.

7. sofa-spud

sofa-spud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Guys,
    Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm stuck with the long throw lense or no PJ.
    The layout of the room dictates what I have unfortunately, and it's a flat in an old house so no other rooms available either.

Seems like I either spend a shed load of money or do without:(

John

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Sharp Z10k from Price Japan (or AVDaniel)

9. andhoey

andhoey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi #1, i had the same problem as you . i needed to project from approx 4.7m onto an 88" diagonal 16:9 screen with proj on the cieling. i purchased the screenplay 4800 and this fitted the screen from approx 4.5m. working out the throw ratio gave me an idea that it would fit. unfortunately the fan noise of this projector was anoying so i sent it back. now i ve got to find something else to fit my spec.thinkin of sanyo plv-z2. pana ptae 500.hitachi pj-tx100 or the themescene h30. have to find out throw ratios.

10. Muzza

Muzza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new AE700 has incorporated a new lense which is very versitile. 2X
    I too needed a long throw pj, and this has answered my prayers :clap:

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Rear projection or coffe table PJ mount..... Floor mounted screen (pop up)?????there are literally hundreds of different options well beyond a ceiling or shelf mount.........