Long throw or Ultra Short Throw

Freepost

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am at the moment building a new house and have made a room to be used as a home cinema. I've never had a projector before but fancy the big screen experience. I was looking at installing a long throw projector, which one, I don’t know but it would make sense to install a 4k capable projector. Unfortunately the Sony’s and the JVC’s seem outside on my budget but I understand that Epson are in the process of releasing their LS1200 which may be interesting. The alternative is to install an Ultra short throw projector which seem to be more capable of displaying 4k at a lower price point. Considering this how would the Epson LS1200 compare with the Hisense's L9G and what are your thoughts on the two technologies.

Thank you for your comments.

Ian

It really depends on how you want to prepare your room and whether you intend to watch much stuff with some light in the room. If ambient light is important as you don’t want the whole immersive experience similar to a commercial cinema then maybe the ultra short throw projector might suit you better but with the current batch of UST projectors their black levels are not great to put it mildly. If you doesn’t mind painting the walls and ceiling dark and want that pitch black viewing experience the Epson will blow them out of the water, blacks will be night and day better and you will easily be able to go bigger in screen size.

I would imagine that some time in January reviews on the LS12000 will start to appear but if you want to get a feel for how this projector will look you could go to your nearest Epson dealer and get a demo of the LS11000.

BB5343CA-A6A9-4CC4-8EE5-030AF208CFC4.jpeg

This is an image from the LS11000

Hi,

Thank you for your advice, I have had a read through your "Modest home cinema room" which I found very informative. No doubt, in due coarse I will have some question but once again thank you for taking the time to answer me.

Ian

The alternative is to install an Ultra short throw projector which seem to be more capable of displaying 4k at a lower price point. Considering this how would the Epson LS1200 compare with the Hisense's L9G and what are your thoughts on the two technologies.
I dont know about lower price point.. it depends at lower price point just what projector you are getting i guess ?

UST do need a special screen...due to very close up and narrow angle they project screen does become super important ..

there no such thing as 4k (native that is) at a lower price point.. and from there downwards you are usually getting pixel shifted or mirrorshifted image with 4k hdmi chipsets so getting some resolution gain upwards from 2k but wont be getting 4k

re epson ls12000 we have not seen anything bar some preview stuff. and apart from a pre production model not sure anything else even exists that anyone has seen or checked out or knows anything about first hand ? best thing to perhaps think of it as ...an epson 9400 with a laser... do you patricia;rlly need a laser ? for most folks needs a regular 9400 likely will do :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom