Question Long Throw & Lens Shift Projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by r3tract, Mar 13, 2018.

1. r3tract

r3tract

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Hello,

I thought all you knowledgeable people might be able to help me find the right projector as I'm struggling to figure out whether projectors would support my requirements.

I want to place a projector in our downstairs lounge and want to shelf mount it. Here are my constraints:

Throw distance is approximate 18'
    Projected screen size can be between 80" to 120"
    Need horizontal lens shift of approximately 50" at the point the projection hits the wall. (approx. 13 degree shift)
    Shelf could support a projector with a depth of approximately 40cm.

My budget is up to £3k for a projector. Would sacrifice resolution (i.e 1080P instead of 4K; or no 3D) for convenience.

Is there anything at all on the market that would work, or have I presented an impossible set of constraints?

Thank you in advance! :)

Josh

2. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +612
    I feel you're looking at an Epson EH-TW7300 as a minimum with a 2.1 zoom. It's minimum zoom taking into a count the depth of the projector will give you an approximate throw or 85" to 170"+.

80" will require you bring the projector further into the room by approximately another 1/2'. But if this projector is struggling, then your going to find that its a struggle for every projector.

Now, one thing that troubles me is the offset. 50", that's more than 50% shift if your mounting it high and that will be a no-no. I would suggest seeing what you can work with and seeing if you can adjust that measurement to fit this projector.

If you use Epson Calculator, this will give you an idea of what you need to work with in order to get your solution to work

3. r3tract

r3tract

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Thanks very much Shane!

Really useful advice. I did think that ultimately I'd have to concede on positioning, as frustrating as it is! Will take a look at the Espon pj on your site.

4. r3tract

r3tract

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Shane, just a thought, if the lens shift wasn't an issue and I positioned it centrally, with the same throw and screen size aspirations would you still be recommended the same pj?

i.e
    Throw distance is approximate 18'
    Projected screen size can be between 80" to 120"

5. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +612
    Epson’s give you quite a lot for your money, as you have a healthy budget, you could look at the 9300. This will produce a better black level.

Remember the Epson’s have a minimum throw of 87” from 18’, 85” when you take the projectors depth into account

6. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +348
    If you can centralise it you open up the possibilities of trying out the 4K DLP projectors (Which tend to be more compact) from various manufactures. (Always try any projector before purchase to see if the picture suits)

If you cannot centralise the projector then the Epson’s should be fine, however if you are happy with 1080P (HD) take a look at the Sony VPL-HW45ES.

Bill

7. r3tract

r3tract

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Thanks both, really helpful, I've been out of the pj scene for a number of years so good to have some sound advice as usual from people on AVF.

I think I'll need to test out the pictures. I've traditionally been an LCD man, but this room is a little less dark than other rooms I've had pj's in, so the advice is useful.