1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

long throw distance

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jd|linuxgaming, Jan 30, 2004.

1. jd|linuxgaming

jd|linuxgaming

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have searched this board for the last few hours and have learnt that I will have a problem if I get a pj.

I can't mount it on the ceiling and the room is 5m (16.4ft) but am limited to a screen width of 150-180 (5-6ft).

So anyideas will be appreciated!

Sadly my budget is around the 1k area.

Thanks

JD

2. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    You should find almost any projector will give you a screen size of upto 8' at 5 mtrs. Goto www.ivojo.co.uk as on many of the pj info pages are throw charts which should help. And you can search by price as well. Their prices are fair but don't let that stop you searching the web, as many companies will price beat.

Good luck

CH

3. jd|linuxgaming

jd|linuxgaming

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if I get a ae300 I can set it to a 5ft screen width from 16 ft away ?

JD

4. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    No.

The furthest it could be is 8'3" for a 5' screen width.

I think you're gonna struggle to find a pj to suit those limitations.

Projector Central is the place to go to test all pj's.

5. jd|linuxgaming

jd|linuxgaming

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn its impossible for me to install a celing bracket. So is there any other alternative ? i.e I could put a table in the center of the room and move the furniture to suit the new layout but will that work with a drop down screen

Thanks for all the help

JD

6. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    You might try a graded (long throw) Sony HS10 from Robert Whyte (search for "graded" and "whyte" on this forum.

Also, the new Hitachi PJ-TX10 seems to have massive flexibility as it comes with a 2x zoom. That's under £1k. Assuming you leave 12" breathing space behind the PJ and the fact that the PJ will be about 12" in length, that reduces your lens to screen distance by two feet. According to with the Projector Central calculator (which has been known to be wrong on occasion), at 1x zoom and 14.4 feet throw, you'll manage a 6 foot wide screen exactly.

HTH,
    Joel

7. scottAV1968

scottAV1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If that was me i'd mount it into a table, your problem with that is were to run the cables, ie power cables, thats what put me off the idea. Search around, i've seen a few home cinemas with the PJ mounted into a table. Not a good idea if youve got kids running around with sticky fingers though.

8. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just out of interest, why is it impossible for you to mount it on the ceiling?

Physical restriction or Marital restriction? ;)

9. jd|linuxgaming

jd|linuxgaming

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WeirdFish I'm in rented accommodation though i may be tempted ! what is the normal drop done ? as my room is only 7'6" high ??

I have one idea hopefully its possible here goes. If I remove the light in the center of the room is it possible to get a bracket with similiar mounting holes of a celling rose.

Thanks again :clap:

JD