Long Throw advice for a newbie

rami

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Looking at purchasing my first projector and done a bit of research but it’s a bit of a minefield for a newbie who is not very technically minded lol! The distance between projector and screen will be just under 6 metres, ideally I’m looking at a 120” screen, is this achievable? I’m really just looking at an entry level projector and liked the look of the epson EH-TW650, I was under the impression that this didn’t have a throw suitable for what I need but then on another website it said it would do the job, any advice much appreciated. Also any other recommendations of a decent projector that will do the job would be great, also forgot to mention it will be set up in the garden so light might be a factor.

Last edited:
Hi, its not possible to find an entry level projector with throw ratio bigger than 2.0. No , the TW650 will open 120" screen from max 3.30 meters. Will not do your job. You can search for a used Epson TW3XXX or TW5XXX. The TW6700 is even better. If you want to go to a new one, i think only the Epson TW5600 or the TW5650 will do your job..

Hi, its not possible to find an entry level projector with throw ratio bigger than 2.0. No , the TW650 will open 120" screen from max 3.30 meters. Will not do your job. You can search for a used Epson TW3XXX or TW5XXX. The TW6700 is even better. If you want to go to a new one, i think only the Epson TW5600 or the TW5650 will do your job..
Thanks for your reply mate appreciate it. The TW5600 isn’t too bad price wise- do you think it will be ok as an outside projector, I appreciate these things are better in a dark room but just looking for something for in the garden to watch the footy and the odd film on, I appreciate picture won’t be perfect with the light issue but I’m not too fussy as long as it’s half decent. I have attached a pic of where I want to put it - projector ceiling hung in the decking area and screen fixed to back garage wall - what do you think?

Attachments

• 0D7DC596-FE3D-49C9-A365-7B3062F73962.jpeg
    0D7DC596-FE3D-49C9-A365-7B3062F73962.jpeg
    410.2 KB · Views: 37
  • A3F38DB4-0ADC-4DE6-A852-E34BDCCC1C84.jpeg
    A3F38DB4-0ADC-4DE6-A852-E34BDCCC1C84.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 2438A95C-4E47-48F1-8E13-1F930496670C.jpeg
    2438A95C-4E47-48F1-8E13-1F930496670C.jpeg
    481.7 KB · Views: 39
Very nice place you have there!i am a little jealous!The TW5600 is perfect for your outdoor projection as it has plenty of light and a wide range of throw ratio (you can have your 120' from 5.75 meters). Remember that is not all about "perfect" picture, your place, friends, the cinema feeling, a good movie, the atmosphere, a good wine perhaps, all these together with a fair picture of course, is the whole magic on our hobby. And from what i see in your pictures, i think you are going to enjoy every minute on this outdoor home cinema.

Very nice place you have there!i am a little jealous!The TW5600 is perfect for your outdoor projection as it has plenty of light and a wide range of throw ratio (you can have your 120' from 5.75 meters). Remember that is not all about "perfect" picture, your place, friends, the cinema feeling, a good movie, the atmosphere, a good wine perhaps, all these together with a fair picture of course, is the whole magic on our hobby. And from what i see in your pictures, i think you are going to enjoy every minute on this outdoor home cinema.
Thanks mate and thanks for the advice your a star! I now just need to decide how to fix the projector when I was looking at the tw650 I was happy to ceiling fix it and once set up just leave it there however if I’m spending that bit more money on the projector not sure I’m happy leaving it in the garden all the time as our back garden is quite easy to get to and don’t want it nicked, will have to find a way to put it up and get it down with ease to take in the house when not in use, now to do a bit of research on the best 120” screen

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom