long-term archiving of media: help please!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mentalturbo, Jun 12, 2008.

1. mentalturbo

mentalturbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    just joined this fab site :hiya: Suggestions please on how to best preserve my camcorder footage/ fully tiled DVD's long-term. I'm fed up with backing -up material on the pc and various external harddrives, only for them to go wrong at some point! With dvd's degrading over time? and the usual sticking problems while playing(over-use!), i need a robust playing / storage answer.

Another problem i have is space taken up on my pc with all the files associated with DVD burning/ movie making. I would like to dump all these files instead of having to keep them( for re-burning duplicate discs).

Talking to other folk, it would seem that if we all carry on with digital archiving on our pc's/ CD/DVD formats, at a time, not to far away, it's all gonna fade away! Obviously if your on the ball and backing-up regularly then you should be ok. Any idea's on the best way to copy stuff(movies/photo's) that will last. How reliable are the HDD's on DVD recorders? Would copying on to VHS be the best in terms of " i ain't gonna lose it" way of thinking?

Would the answer be the DVD/VHS/HDD machines, such as the Panasonic DMR EX 95 or Toshiba RD XV47?

If this has already been debated could somebody steer me to where i can read up, cheers all

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,812
    Welcome to the forum.

This issue bothers even the greatest minds and there are no easy and certainly definitive answers... but there are a few things which you have contemplated that are definitely not the way to go.

VHS is a definite no-go.
    Even though analogue tape storage is a very robust long term medium, we are probably only a year or two away at most where it will become totally impossible to purchase a unit on which you can play the material.
    There is obviously no point in having a storage medium from which you cannot retrieve the material somewhere down the line.

Also there is a lot of loss involved in going from the digital to the analogue medium and back again... so it makes sense if the material is in the digital domain to keep it there.

Discs are enormously variable in quality and longevity and there are many more poor quality discs around than there are good quality.
    Discs are also vulnerable and when they fail it is usually total.
    Data can be there, but is not accessible [ easily].

Discs cannot be regarded as good long term storage devices from the perspective of the average user.

The hard drive is probably the simplest and most effective back up system for a domestic user...It is bulk storage...Data is easily duplicated. It is refreshable and can easily be moved forward.
    But hard drives need to be used in a way that makes sense if you are using them as a protection system.

Probably the best system is to have either NAS Raid array[ Network attached storage ] or a RAID array directly attached to your PC. [via USB or preferably SATA ]
    This can be configured using software to auto back up for you all your fresh work.

With this system - if your PC Hard discs goes down, you have the RAID back up to restore from, and if any of the RAID array hard drives go down the RAID system can rebuild the data from the other discs in the array when a replacement drive is installed.

These and associated issues have been discussed before.
    I'll post later if I can find links to them.

3. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
    Every time I read this question, I am reminded of the Tomorrows World (BBC TV) article on archiving video, to monochrome cini film. Each frame of video is separated into three primary colours, and the three are printed into one cini frame alongside a digital image of the audio.
    Why for archiving ? Well they KNOW the media lasts for 100 years plus, that can't yet be said for magnetic or reflective technologies.

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,812
    Yes - I remember that.

I don't think the development was taken any further.... was it?

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,812
  6. mentalturbo

mentalturbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input guys. Will read the links above and try to decipher what is best for me.
    Can anyone shed some light on the best DVD's to use for burning on your PC? I am currently using Verbatim +R DL for movie footage over 4.7gb. Is there anything else that would last longer?/ more reliable?
    Thanks

7. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Nope; Verbatim is the best DL brand at the moment, and has been for some time.

8. mentalturbo

mentalturbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks musukebba!