1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long speaker cables?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bh, May 15, 2001.

1. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but are there any lengths after which speaker cable tends to deteriorate in its performance? I need to run speaker cable for about 14 meters (round doors etc, because I can't get under the carpet very well.

Any ideas?

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,238
    Don't take this as gospel, but I do think the signal does deteriorate over 10 meters. Some ideas to overcome this are go under the floorboards, through the loft if you live in a bungalow, you can get super flat cable if it is possible at all to get under the carpet, lastly get the best cable you can afford (this will help on long lengths). Never ever scrimp on cable, you may up grade your amp, TV, speakers, cd, DVD etc but you tend to buy cable once. They say speaker cable budget should be about 10% of your total system price. I think with your long runs, up this quite a bit. Oh and make the cable lengths the same.
    If you have a good hi-fi dealer he may be able to recommend something.
    By the way I splashed out on some Van Den Hul cs122 hybrid. It improved my system as though I had bought a system twice the price, best bang per buck in my system. Got it at Sevenoaks.
    Hope this is of some help.
    P.S. the cable was for my front speakers, was yours?