• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Long scart lead with bare ends

freddyuk

Standard Member
I want to run a scart cable from my "central control" to my Plasma because i currently use RF with magic eyes to control remotely all my sky boxes and i cant get stereo etc this way.
The cable can be routed via the loft behind coving (as i fit it) and through a wall to the tv but i will need no plug on one end.
I can buy a 20 metere scart lead with bare ends so can i solder on my own plug afterwards? Is this going to cause problems with quality of signal etc?

Thanks for any advice

jw250

I don't see a problem if your soldering is good. It's a bit of a pig though, 21 tiny pins. I wouldn't fancy doing it unless I was very patient. And good with a soldering iron. But it will work yes.

What is more concerning is the distance. 20m is a long way - you will lose some signal over that distance so if you are taking signal to a large screen you may notice that it's not as good as where it started. Have you thought about buying 'Baluns'? Sending it over Cat5e network cable using transmitters and receivers. This is a balanced signal and can carry your signal of choice to up to about 300m with minimal loss. At 20 meters it will be fine. And the cable is tiny and cheap-ish to buy long pre-terminated lengths of it. Ethernet cable bascially. RJ45 at each end. You'll need a Balun Transmitter AND a Balun Receiver.

Have a look here.

AV Over CAT5

It may be worth the money to save running heavy and awkward scart cable and hours of work. And another bit of advice - if you are going to run 1x cat5e cable, you may as well run 2x. You're bound to use it.

There's a lot of companies doing baluns so look around and make sure they carry the correct signal that you are sending over scart (scart carries 3x different types so be careful - Composite, RGB and S-Video, depends on the equipment you're plugged into - everything can do Composite as a minimum if that helps).

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom