1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long SCART cables the answer?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Davidedwards, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Davidedwards

Davidedwards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just bought a Philips 30PF9975 LCD TV with four SCARTS on the back. Apparently I can program the SCARTS for optimum performance of each piece of equipment connected.
    My SKY cable goes into the breakfast room and my ariel RF into the lounge where this set will be placed. At present I have a complicated setup where the RF goes around the house from the lounge by coaxial, into the breakfast room to the SKY box and then both SKY and terrestrial signal out of the SKY box back around the house by coaxial to the lounge to be distributed by an amp to three TVs!
    How can I simplify this by using long SCART cable instead of coaxial?
    Help please !!
    Am also considering getting a 2nd SKY box or SKY+ just to further complicate things.

2. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you;re thinking of getting SKY+ and keeping old box as extra subscription that probably simplifies things.

Put the Sky+ in the lounge (assuming that's used the most) connected by scart to the LCD, then the old box stays in the breakfast room feeding the other 3 TVs as it did before.

3. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    have u considered the good old video senders?

gb--

4. Davidedwards

Davidedwards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I just replaced my box in the breakfast room with SKY+ I guess I could keep the existing setup and use a 'sender' so that I could change channels from the lounge?
    I presume my RF out of the SKY+ box would carry both SKY channels and I just tune each TV into the two different frequencies? How do you watch two different SKY+ channels at the same time on two different TVs? ie. is there a switch on the remote to go from one to the other and then adjust each individually? Would I then need two SKY+ remotes one for each room? Aaaarrrggghhhhh!
    What I see happening is the kids wanting to watch The Simpsons in one room while we watch something less intellectual in the other!
    Wouldn't I get a better signal by using a long SCART cable rather than coaxial?
    Maybe I should just get an extra SKY box and a DVD recorder?

5. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My experience of long scart runs is they act like antennae- interference prone. I guess this is why the average scart lead is less than 6 ft in length.

The video sender is your best option I think.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have a custom 5m IXOS, it ain't good :(

7. Davidedwards

Davidedwards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoken to SKY+ now and I CAN'T watch two SKY channels at once with SKY+, only watch one and record the other. In view of my bad experience with a TIVO which I sold after a week, and my wanting to record things for the long-term, I guess an extra sky box at £15 extra per month and a DVD recorder are the answer.
    I thought I read somewhere on here that 'mirror' subs were £7.50? Must be mistaken!

Having said that, for £20 I can have both SKY+ and my present SKY subscription. Either way I'd then have one SKY (or SKY+) box at each of the TVs in the lounge and breakfast room, and could site the DVD recorder with the standard SKY box.

Any problem with the old Philips DVDR70 anybody? I've seen it for £234.00 whereas the DVDR80 seems over complicated (and pricier) for someone who wants basic functionality.

Thanks guys.