long s-video runs, how bad a picture?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JohnAd, Feb 7, 2002.

1. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys

I'm in the process of rewiring my house and apart from putting the usual Cat5e and Ct100 everywhere I was wondering if I could also run some higher quality video around.

I've found some what looks like nice s-video + audio cable from http://rswww.com but I was wondering how bad the picture would look after running through 2 lots of 6-7 meter cables.

The specs are
    It would be used for getting a digtv/satellite picture from the living room to my HC room and into a PC.

Any thoughts?

John

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    John I've actiually tried this cable and it horrid to work with. I know you should judge a cable by its weight but it was like bell wire.
    I've still got a bit left if you want a sample. (I'll have to persude Caroline to take the washing off it first mind)

If the budget will go to the 365 7851 @ £69.30 or if the size puts you off the mini 75ohm 365 7918 @ £91.35 You need to run two lengths side by side
    You will then need a couple of s video to BNC adaptors. that way the signals are kept completly sepaerate. You must however make sure the cables are the same length. the audio still needs to go down its own bit of string.

3. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

if you've already installed cat 5 why dont you use that? Have you seen this stuff here

I'm looking at sending AV round the house but without using cat 5 and either patching or some kind of switching technology I'd have cable bundles about 2 foot thick!!

HTH

Steve

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,255
    John

Video distribution:
    I would look at VanDamme red series 75ohm Mini video multicore as your distribution cable.

The 4 way is £3.04 m and the 5 way is 3.61m.

This then allow you to use the four or five cores as you please for Component, S-Video or Composite video.

S-Video breakout:
    If you terminate the multicore with BNC male connectors then you can hook up a BNC to S-Video breakout connector to two of the cores for £11.15 per end.

Audio distribution:
    Again look at VanDamme blue series multicore. A 4 pair pre-jacketed is £3.16 m.

Connectors:
    There is a complimentary range of connectors to suit the VanDamme video and audio cable range.

Cat5:
    Not worked with the S-Video system as highlighted elsewhere but having spent quite a bit of time of late testing a few Cat5 sender/receiver systems I would be very wary of the results obtainable at such low cost. You would definitely want to get a set on approval - if they work then they are a steal at the prices indicated on the web site.

Couch potato:
    What distribution systems are you looking at?

Hope this helps

Regards

Joe

[email protected]
    www.tmfsolutions.co.uk

5. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,

You've got mail!! I didn't want to highjack the thread!!

Steve

6. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Guys

Thanks for all the useful information.

As I feared the specific cable approach looks like it might not be the way forward as the size and number of cables required to get decent video over distance seems pretty big.

I think I'm going to look into the kat5 solution as I especially like the multidrop feature and the cost isn't that much more than decent cable. The quality is a bit of a worry but the screen shots of winamp look reasonable to me.

Has anybody actually used the kat5 stuff?

John

7. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

You might want to try the guys at Home Automation, Keith Doxey is their HA guru and he's the guy behind Kat5, let me know how you get on. My concernother than the potential lack of quality is the lack of IR control but he does state that IR control is on the agenda following the AV switch.

Steve

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,059
    John:

I have a friend/customer who bought a NEC6pgextra from me. He has been using the KAT5 stuff for a while and brought some to the Event for me to check out. Didn't have time unfortunately. He knows a good picture when he sees it I think so if you want I can put you in touch.

Gordon

9. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Steve

I'll mail with a few questions, the IR thing would be nice built in but it should be easy to add using yet another cat5 cable.

Gordon

Yes please, I'd love to hear how he has got on with it.

John

10. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Reply's from Keith

I'm going to dive in and get some. Looks like it will be good enough for sport anyway.

John

11. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

It seems he's sorted out the IR in the last week!! Unfortunately I've got to wait for the switcher :( I need multiple sources in multiple rooms.

Are you going for "Multidrop" or patching?

Please post results of the Kat5 Transceiver/Receiver quality.

Good luck
    Steve

12. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Steve

I'm going multidrop 1 input 2 outputs at first but I'll wire it all up using my patch pannel, I really only need this for non FTA stuff mostly rugby so the IR feature is not that critical.

I'll post some S&W test pattern captures with and without the KAT5 once I get them working.

John

13. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, thanks John.

Steve

14. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

Any luck? I need to put some new cabling in (coax problems :( ) so need to sort out quickly. What's the availability like and the PQ

Steve

15. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have paid for a set, should be arriving any day now. Ordering process seemed pretty good so far. Email and BACS to the rescue.

I'll post as soon as I have any results.

John

16. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Got the KAT5 Boxes today.

And as the buildong work is still going on around me I've just done a few tests with a bit of patch cable.

here are some screen shots from dscaler with the kat5 boxes in line. I've not bothered with the without shots as I can't really tell much of a difference. These are taken using a toshiba sd210e and a pinncale rave pctv card.

Avia Resolution sweep
    Avia resolution pattern
    Shot from Dr Zhivago R2

I'll do some more complete testing once my system is fully installed but initial impressions are very good indeed

John

17. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John, it looks pretty good to me :D What length runs are you using the Cat 5 cable over? Was this the multidrop?

Steve

18. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Those tests were with a 2m patch cable so not very realistic. I was expecting to see a noticable degredation just by putting the kit in line. Didn't really notice one maybe a little extra noise but no loss of detail.

The true test will be once I've set up my patch panel and have the multidrop system working.

btw Keith was very good to order from, it's a one man show but he is very professional and every e-mail question I sent was answered within about a hour. Top bloke, it may be worth waiting for the distribution system he's working on though, sounds as though it's not too far away.

John