Answered "Long" run HDMI Cables to a TV Wall

dave335i

Hi all,

This amy not be the correct place to post, as its not strictly homeAV realted. But I figured you guys would probably be more informed than myself to ask.

I've been tasked with resolving a HDMI signal drop out issue on a makeshift TV Wall in my works office. Here's the scenario:

The Setup:
We have 6x 42" LCD TV's (not monitors) arranged in a 2high x 3wide position. On the wall behind them, we have 6 in-wall HDMI sockets which the TV's are plugged into with 2 or 3m HDMI cables, these have HDMI "tails" that are 2m long, and feed up into the false ceiling above it. They then have a female-female coupler on them, and then we've plugged in a 10m "cheapo off-brand" HDMI cable that trails all the way across the false ceiling, thend rops down into our comms rack where we have a 2U server with 3x nVidia Graphics cards in it all outputting dual HDMI.

The Issue:
On "most" screens at some point (but a couple of the screens more so than others, and worse), we get signal dropout, the TV(s) go black and display no signal, then they flash back to the image over and over again. I believe this is a bandwidth/signal degradation issue, because on the screens that are worse, if I just dispaly a blank white page for example, they wont flash anymore, they stay on properly, but if i switch it abck to dispaly a web page or a set of colourful graphs, it will start to drop out and flicker off/on again.

Resolution??
So my question really is, A) do you think this is the cables being crappy quality, and too long of a run, and the signal being degraded so much that it cant carry the higer bandwidth signals/images? And B) what cables, or other solution, can i buy (or sent to purchasing to buy, lol) that can solve this? The issue we have is the sockets in the wall arent female-female backed, they are sockets with moulded on HDMI tails on them, so we cant avoid having that female-female join in the ceiling annoyingly.

Open to all ideas, thanks.

Dave.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'Open to all ideas' - start over again :)

HDMI Wall sockets - remove and replace with Brush style plates and avoid the unnecessary breaks in the cable runs.

Option A. 10m HDMI cables - replace with RuiPro Hybrid Fibre cables which will support up to 4K UHD with ease at 10m, you may have to use the optional 5v power inserter close to the TV's depending on the spec of your graphic cards.

Option B - install 10m non-CCA CAT6 cables and use HDBT or HD over LAN extenders, if you went HD over LAN you could also consider adding a managed Gigabit Switch to create a 'low cost' Matrix to allow you a bit more flexibility in terms of Source devices and which Displays you wish to target and being able to 'magnify' sources across multiple Displays.

We supply and support the above solutions.

Joe

PS Flashing images means you have an HDCP handshake breakdown.

kayti

You'll see a lot of talk about the RuiPro Hybrid cables around here, because they seem to have been the first to market a reliable hybrid HDMI cable.

However, there are several (far) cheaper brands available on Amazon - such as the 15m ATZEBE that I use myself - that do the job of full 18Gbps HDMI without any issues. Just make sure it's a hybrid cable rather than a pure fibre one.

mushii

Distinguished Member
I would issue a word of caution on the cheaper cables especially the UGreen ones. We have had failures with these cables as have other AVF users. The customer support on returns is also somewhat lacking. Caveat Emptor
You get what you pay for especially with quality of product and quality of customer service. Joe is here and he offers outstanding advice and technical support on the RuiPros. Or you can (try to) deal with China via Amazon.
This is not just based on forum users here but also on AVS Forums.

BTW I have no affiliation with Joe or TMF, but I do recognise and respect his support and treatment of both his direct customers (myself and several of my clients) and AVF members.

dave335i

'Open to all ideas' - start over again :)

HDMI Wall sockets - remove and replace with Brush style plates and avoid the unnecessary breaks in the cable runs.

Option A. 10m HDMI cables - replace with RuiPro Hybrid Fibre cables which will support up to 4K UHD with ease at 10m, you may have to use the optional 5v power inserter close to the TV's depending on the spec of your graphic cards.

Option B - install 10m non-CCA CAT6 cables and use HDBT or HD over LAN extenders, if you went HD over LAN you could also consider adding a managed Gigabit Switch to create a 'low cost' Matrix to allow you a bit more flexibility in terms of Source devices and which Displays you wish to target and being able to 'magnify' sources across multiple Displays.

We supply and support the above solutions.

Joe

PS Flashing images means you have an HDCP handshake breakdown.
Thankyou for all of the information. I looked into fibre HDMI cables and went down that route. I also looked at CAT6 baluns and HDMI over ethernet solutions like that, however the baluns at each end require powering, and it would have added a fair amount of hassle for us at both ends to be honest.

You'll see a lot of talk about the RuiPro Hybrid cables around here, because they seem to have been the first to market a reliable hybrid HDMI cable.

However, there are several (far) cheaper brands available on Amazon - such as the 15m ATZEBE that I use myself - that do the job of full 18Gbps HDMI without any issues. Just make sure it's a hybrid cable rather than a pure fibre one.
Thankyou for this. I actually did a fair amount of investigation into fibre hdmi cables and I too decided to try out the ATZEBE fibre hdmi cables from Amazon. I went for 20m, as I wanted to have the length there in case I want to go down the wall, to brush plates and back out and up to the TV's directly. But right now, I still have the join in the ceiling, and the HDMI socket faceplates on the wall leading out to the TV's.

Using the ATZEBE cables has completely eliminated the signal drop/HDCP handshake failure/fuzzy images etc. I got 2 of them at £60 each just as a trial, as we have 6 monitors on one TV Wall, with scope to increase. The 2 monitors we replaced the cable to were the worst offenders for flashing images and signal drop, and so far, we have not had a single hint of a flicker or drop out.

So thankyou for pointing me in the direction of fibre HDMI cables everyone. I fully understand that it is against some of the recommendations, and that it isnt a £200+ cable, but in this scenario, it seems to have come turned out favourably.

Thanks,
Dave

mushii

Distinguished Member
Dave I hope that those cables work out for you. My experience with the cheaper Amazon hybrid fibre cables was that they worked fine for the first few months, then started to become less and less reliable. Trying to get a refund was not so easy. These were not the ATZEBE brand though. At least you have a solution that you know works now. Good Luck

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom