1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long rear speaker cable runs

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by t1grm, Jan 25, 2005.

1. t1grm

t1grm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just worked how much speaker cable I need for my 5 speaker set up and it’s comes to a whopping 41m! :eek:

My plan to bi-wire the lot using Chord Carnival Silver Plus @ 8.55 per m seems a little OTT now! Including plugs it would be not far off the most expensive component in my set up. :thumbsdown:

However, 35m of that is for the rear speakers. So can I skimp on the rears a little? For starters how about not bi-wiring them?

Anyone got any recommendations on a good budget cable that I could use for the rears?

Another possibility is that the rear speaker cable runs will be alongside each other for all but the last 3m so what about getting a 19m length of bi-wire but using it to drive two rears in a single wired configuration and just splitting out the cable for the last 4m?

I’m using Monitor Bronze B1 rears and B4 fronts with a Marantz SC7500 BTW

2. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Usuals answer is to use the best you can.

To bi-wire or not - that's a can of worms!
    Caleb

3. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I'm using good old T&E cable which I bought from my local Builders' Merchant (Travis Perkins). 50m of which cost me £10. Its 2.5mm of solid copper core is meatier than the cable running my front 3 speakers and the extent to which the rears are used I can't spot any downgrade.

It's item number 3 in this search list: http://www.trademate.co.uk/products...odel&SearchMode=Product&KeyPart1=B&Keypart2=6

Mind you, if your rears are very expensive it may be more noticeable...

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    As Theo recommends, twin and earth will do the job and save you a small fortune. You may want to try it on your front speakers as well.
    Not worth the effort to bi wire. Again I doubt you'll notice any difference.

5. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I use triple and earth for my 7 speakers with a total length of 55m.

I went for triple and earth because i could pair 2 of the wires so i'm doubling the cables thickness.

However you could use the triple and earth for bi wiring cause of the 4 separate wires.

My speakers don't have bi-wire option but if they did i would have tried it both ways and decided which was better if i could even hear a difference

Regards
    Paddy

6. t1grm

t1grm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    T&E... Genius! Why didn't I think of that? :thumbsup:

Do you terminate that with anything or just “stuff it in”?

7. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    If you aren't planning on moving your equipment there's no reason not to 'Stuff it in' :rotfl: Alternatively you could use Spades or Bannana plugs. Soldering would be best or if not the screw type would do the job.

8. olliemac

olliemac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I wouldn`t bother bi-wiring rear surround speakers. Dedicated surround speakers don't tend to have bi-wire terminals anyway, and you just won't hear the difference because the sound from those speakers is not directed at you, whereas the front stereo and centre are. You could use bi wire cable to feed both speakers as you suggest but that depends totally on whether 2 core costs half the price or less, plus the cable cores will be a different colour. I would tend towards manufactured speaker cable as it is stranded and thus easier to run and less susceptable to breaks, and the sheath would but a lot thicker than electrical grade cable, protecting the signal somewhat.