Long play audio on DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by brado, Jan 16, 2004.

1. brado

brado
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering purchasing a DVD recorder for recording the digital sound from satellite radio, as well as some TV concerts.
    Will the sound quality be reduced if recorded in a long play mode,e.g. 4 hrs. one side? I understand that video is compromised.
    I would then like to play back on my PC dvd and copy to CD.
    Since there will be no video content with the audio, will this be easy, or will I still need software to do it, as with the V/A?
    Thanks

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You will of course record the blue screen and channel logo as well as the sound, so there is video content at the quality setting you have selected.

However I understand that sound is the same quality at all record modes, except the enhanced sound you can do in xp mode, so it should be ideal for doing what you want, indeed you could use the ep mode and get 6 hours on the media. Buy the hs2 and you could get nearly 50 hours of good quality audio on the hard drive, edit down to what you want and archive if required. Just bear in mind that the longest recording you can schedule is 6 hours, so if you want to record for longer than that you need to set up consecutive timer recordings

3. sfc

sfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes all the video modes record with the same quality. The specs for all modes are AC3, 48KHz, 256 kbps, that’s on the E50 and prob. all panny models anyway.

As for what you do with it once you have it, there are numerous possibilities.

Creating a cd is no problem. Demux the file, delete the m2v and use besweet to transcode the ac3 to wav to write to cd to create an audio cd. Alternatively transcode to mp3 and then you could fit much more on a cd if you are not bothered about playing it on normal cd players.

Gordon.

4. brado

brado
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.
    I will copy your replies to refer to when I make a recording.

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,873
    I have recorded six hours of audio on a RAM and it still sounded like the other quality settings.

It's rather cool having six hours of audio on a disc.

6. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have you considered a cd/hdd recorder such as this:

http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/homehifi/cdplayers/cdr-hd1300/index.php

I have one of these & the sound quality is excellent. It has digital in & out and you can edit files on the hdd.

It's more expensive than a dvd recorder, but if your receiver has digital audio out, then this unit can record it (a dvd recorder only records analogue sound).

7. brado

brado
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, I'll give that some consideration.

8. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    It's cool..ish! If you want to record audio in good quality get a cheap VCR with EP mode and with a E300 tape you'll get 15 hours of HQ sound