Long overdue an upgrade of amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by digitalfailure, Sep 10, 2012.

1. digitalfailure

digitalfailure
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

It's been an absolute age since I last changed anything in my set up, so in an effort to get with it I'm considering changing my old Yamaha dsp 3090 for something a little more user friendly.

I use B&W m1 speakers with a ( now vintage ) REL strata sub and I'd be looking to keep those and be able to connect my DVD, ps3 and sky box to the amp and the amp to the tv. Music and (film playback if possible) via air play from my iPhone or iPad would also be good, but there are so many amps now I'm well and truly baffled by it all.

Any suggestions for an av receiver for a max of a grand ?

Thanks in advance.

2. bow79

bow79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    think about what facilities you really require. Technology moves very quickly in this area. Last year's models are frequently available at enormous discounts good sound quality but may lack the current must have (for some) feature.

3. digitalfailure

digitalfailure
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm sticking with 5.1 due to space considerations. My current amp doesn't utilise the monitor out as it was an s video connection and when the tv went on the wall no s video leads were fitted in the wall, only a couple of hdmi and r g b cables.

So on screen display, hdmi connection of sources to the amp instead of tv and streaming from iPad are the main priority, iPad / iPhone control functionality would be nice but not essential if the remote is well designed.

4. bow79

bow79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Sorry no ipad/iphone experiece hopefully someone else can help out.

5. digitalfailure

digitalfailure
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries :)

Hopefully someone who's up on the latest amps will be along shortly.

6. jimfrench

jimfrench

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    There are quite a few AVR's in this price range that will do the job. You will need a network device. I have a Yamaha RX-A2000, but there are similar models from Denon, Onkyo, etc. If it is networked, the movies can be streamed there with the right software. The latest iPhone /iPad app can stream music via a wireless connection to your network from the onboard music. Personally I convert all my music to flac files,especially CD's for the best quality without the expense of SACD's. There are a few models in your stated price target and you may find something from last year's models as the new ones are introduced about now. Good luck with your search!

7. digitalfailure

digitalfailure
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The streaming of movies from storage is something I'm unsure of, I use an iMac as a desktop, that's connected to my home hub 3 via Ethernet and I have a drobo unit connected to the mac via FireWire. My iPad and iPhone connect via wifi to the router.

I use the drobo for storing movies and watching them on the mac or transferring them into iTunes, but I'm not sure if it can be made to stream movies via the iMac / wifi

As I already have a Yammy and I love the sound with the m1's another Yammy would be good, but the pioneer vlx55 looks good too

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,871
    the amp itself is DLNA certified, but can only handle audio sourced via its networking abilities.

You can stream from an iMac via uPnP/DLNA if you utilise a third party DLNA server such as Twonky or PS3 Media Server. If wanting to play video streamed over your LAN then you'll need a media player with video playbck capabilities. AV amps with networking abilities do not have video rendering capabilities. Many Blu-ray players have the ability to play video files streamed to them via DLNA. The PS3 and XBox also have media player capabilities. You'd use such devices to access the files being streamed over your LAN and the devices would then be connected to the amp, preferably via HDMI. If just wanting to access audio files over your LAN then this can be done via the AV amps ethernet port and without an intermediate media player.

9. daytona600

daytona600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    this was a yamaha flagship amp in its day Probably just a good or better than most new £1000 av amps
    spend money on a good Bluray player for the source , one with a built in 5.1 decoder to feed to the yamaha and the rest on movies

10. digitalfailure

digitalfailure
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey, I forgot all about the hard drive within the ps3, i only ever use it for call of duty and watching blu rays :D

I still love the sound from the Yammy, and my room won't allow a 7 or 9 channel system, but as more and more of my music is held on i devices I really wanted airplay functionality so I can potter round the house and garden and still select music and control volume etc from the device. So that was the primary reason for a change.

Does anyone know where I can find info on using the media player functionality of the ps3, I've not seen the instruction book for years :eek: